Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 05 cdi smacked up...fix it or scrap it?
Club smart Car > Smart Car Discussions > General Discussions
teejay68
Hi all, new forum member here asking for some advice from the smart community. My wife's pride and joy (2005 Fortwo cdi) was stolen by a drunken family aquaintance a few days before Christmas and driven into Calgary where it was smacked up in the rear. The de dion tube was bent about 4 inches out, shock broken, coil spring stretched, fender and taillight destroyed, plastic corner window broken, underbody pan dropped, rim bent, and axle shaft pulled out of differential. It still starts and runs fine but will not move because the axle is disconnected. The body has no bends or ripples that I can see, I did have to re-align the rear window hinges so that it would close properly as it shifted sideways on impact. The way I see it we have 3 choices, part it out or sell it as a parts car, try to find the parts and fix it, or keep it and buy the Smartuki kit (not really an option but a fun dream). I has 112000km and runs perfect but I'm really not sure if it worth fixing, any opinions?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Alex
IF you can fix it yourself, find a suitable wrecked car for the parts and test out the suspension work by driving it repeatedly over the drunken family acquaintance it might be worth it.
I take it insurance is not the preferred option? Or a lawsuit against the DFA?
Bringing it to Mercedes is almost certainly not worth it, they'll get you up to the resale value and beyond in no time.
Good luck, keep us posted.
smartzuuk
Real simple... part it out, the engine and related parts are worth a couple grand

Panels may take awhile to sell, but call that $500

other odds n end... $1000

You can buy a used cdi for $5000 - this ain't worth fixing

$2000 to $2500 as is where is I reckon
Mike T
It looks too far gone to effect an economical repair. Better to shake down the drunken family acquaintance and/or the person that shunted him for the cash to buy a good used one. The misaligned window points to bodyshell distortion.
teejay68
Thanks for the responses, that is pretty much what I figured from the initial look at it. Insurance will pay zero as we had dropped to basic insurance once the car's value had dropped and we figured we would never have to deal with theft since you need the key to drive it. Never expected someone in our home to take the key and steal the car, lesson learned. The acquaintance does not have a pot to "urinate" in so no point in looking for retribution there. Parting it out or selling whole seems to be the best bet we also have the mags with summer tires too, so maybe we can get a little back on the whole fiasco.
The windows misalignment does not seem to be from flex at all, it seems it was unlatched at the time of the accident and it just pivoted a bit on the hinges, I could see the different angles of the hinges when open. A couple taps with a block of wood on the hinges and it all seems fine now. I guess I will post this up in the parts/for sale section and see what happens. Many thanks for your advice.
-Todd
fordnut71
hope the police caught him impaired. i would have him charged with theft an damages anyways.
teejay68
We reported it stolen within a half hour of it being taken. Charges so far are vehicle theft, impaired driving, refusing breath sample, and hit and run. Small consolation for us and at least no one else was hurt
fordnut71
good,hope he gets serious jail time out of this. hell probable say he dont remember anything cause of the drinking an was on meds at the time.
Wild!
I know this may be a little late in asking. But if you plan to get rid of it I would like to buy your head lights. Please let me know.
teejay68
QUOTE (Wild! @ Feb 29 2012 - 12:42 PM) *
I know this may be a little late in asking. But if you plan to get rid of it I would like to buy your head lights. Please let me know.

Sorry for the delay in answering, been on a long stretch of night shifts and been off the grid for a while. As it stands we are still fighting with the guy's (one who rearended it) insurance company so we are not sure of the fate of the car yet. If we get a settlement and buy it back I will part it out, will keep you posted.
yyzkid
Hi Teejay,new kid on the block...can you let me know if or when you plan to part out your car..I need some major engine stuff if not the whole engine...
teejay68
QUOTE (yyzkid @ Mar 19 2012 - 07:12 AM) *
Hi Teejay,new kid on the block...can you let me know if or when you plan to part out your car..I need some major engine stuff if not the whole engine...

Will keep you posted if this happens but....insurance company for the rear-ender person now says that they will fix it. We are surprised that they want to do this based on the damage and the cost of parts, not sure if they really realize what these cars cost to fix but that is their choice. We'll see how this all pans out I guess...
bilgladstone
Fix it!? I would guess from the pictures you've shown us that there is at least $5,000 of repairs needed. And be sure you only authorize repairs to be done at a facility that is familiar with smart cars - even so, I hazard to say it will never be properly right again.

Seriously - good luck, cousin.
Bil senile.gif

teejay68

We are shocked by this as well, I don't think they realize that just the plastic parts are expensive not to mention the suspension stuff, or even just matching the wrecked rim. I will be making sure that it is not being sent to "Joe's Have Hammer Will Fix Garage" (no offense to anyone named Joe here) and making sure that the wife does not sign off on any papers until she (we) are absolutely satisfied. I have been down this road before where one of my older cars was fixed under insurance using some used parts and have made them re-do repairs.
Tennelle
I was just reading the posts , so how did it go with your wife's car, did it get fixed? I had something similar happen except I was rear ended and it was bad , it was appraised and they said it was fixable, so 12000 dollars later through insurance from the other guy of course , 2 years later my car is parked at q a auto body shop in operateable with a blown engine! I'm super upset! So just make sure it was fully worked on , I have in resent months found out from my smart dealer that my car shouldn't have been on the road let alone fixed! So hopefully you did the right thing if there was more than 10000 in damages I would suggest its a write off so you don't have to go trough the crap I am right now!
teejay68

Actually we were given the option from the other person's insurance company to fix it or take the cash settlement, so we took the cash and bought back the wreck. We then replaced it with a 2006 convertible in beautiful condition and I am stripping the wreck and we are keeping everything that is a direct fit for spare parts and selling the parts we can't use (like rear hatch window, roof glass etc). Overall it worked out well: $9000 for the car, $2000 to but it back, $6900 for the new cabrio, enough spare parts to hopefully never have to set foot in a dealership for a long time and $100 in our pocket. Wife is very happy with her convertible and back on the road in her new favorite car smile.gif
teejay68
By the way Tennelle sorry to hear about your Smart I can understand your being so upset, the worst part of this whole thing was how upset my wife was about her pride and joy car. I am glad we went the way we did as I was nervous about a proper fix being done, and she ended up getting the convertible that she regretted not getting the first time. Here is her new one...
Tennelle
Thanks still not sure what I'm going to do with my car. But glad to hear it all went pretty good for your wife and her new car.. I may have to sell my car for parts . Boo! But there's not much else I can do !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.