Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2006 CDI Turbo Boost Pressure
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Operation and Maintenance: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel
Krainzracing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering what boost pressure should be on the diesel. I put a pressure gage on it and at 3800 rpm the pressure goes up to 7psi, at 2500 rpm 2-3psi. Taken the intercooler out looks good, thinking of leaving it out and bypass it just to test boost pressure again with it out
What should the specs be?

The fun of used parts.
Thanks
Mike T
1.15 bar is the number, that's 1.15 atmospheres, so you can do the conversion. Yours is underboosting a whole lot.
MightyMouseTech
Accelerating on the highway I see 17 PSI.
fordnut71
you should see over 15-17psi but not by much more. the computer has a over boost sensor in there to put the car into limp mode if it happens.
Alex
You are measuring under load, right? You won't see any significant boost just revving the engine, it has to be working.
Boost is controlled mechanically with a waste gate that opens and bypasses exhaust gases when boost rises enough. Could be stuck open. The car does monitor boost electronically to control fuel properly, and will go into a reduced power "limp" mode if boost spikes over the limit, but control of boost is only mechanical.
CANMAN
The boost numbers people are giving you are from the scangauge 2 used while driving down the road.
I don't think using a pressure gauge staticaly for a comparison is valid.
Like apples vs oranges.
If you are concerned about your engines operating parameters, buy a scangauge from a clubsmartcar member who advertises them for sale on this site or from Canadian Tire.
REMEMBER you need to contact the mfg. Linear Logic for a special NON CAN cable for the cdi, if not the scangauge can cause intermittent ABS / Traction Control problems and may cause your odometer to jump. (cable is free)
Or modify the cable that comes with it by cutting off 2 pins, but then you can't use it on another vehicle.

As to your idea of removing the intercooler altogether, that would be bad, could lead to overheating (melting) the engine.
There is a thread in this site discussing partially blocking the intercooler for the winter to get more heat, but only partially blocking, not removing.
Canman
MightyMouseTech
QUOTE (CANMAN @ Mar 12 2012 - 01:21 PM) *
The boost numbers people are giving you are from the scangauge 2 used while driving down the road.
I don't think using a pressure gauge staticaly for a comparison is valid.
Like apples vs oranges.

When I say 17 PSI, that is 17 PSI gauge pressure, so that is what he should be seeing under full load/full boost with a mechanical gauge. The Scangauge is showing 31.5 PSI absolute. So 31.5 PSI absolute - 14.5 PSI atomospheric pressure (as measured by MAP sensor on car today) = 17 PSI gauge.

The boost must be measured with a load on the engine, you won't get much just reving the engine in neutral.
smartzuuk
Just shy of 17 PSI under load measured with a Scangauge as noted.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.