Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need an extra key, without electronics?
Club smart Car > Smart Car Discussions > General Discussions
smart65
In the part# thread of the Buyer's Guide forum, I describe an offer of key blanks from my MB dealer @ $94/pair and my purchase of CUT keys for $4 each. Go to http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...37&start=60 and page down to view.
Dent
without electronics?

I am confused since my car has no keyholes on the exterior of the car. is the passion different from the other models?
Speedie
psssttt - have a look at the tailgate
biglaugh.gif
- the method for a lockout is the same as if the battery in the fob goes dead - open the hatch - contort a bit - retrieve the key or the battery for the fob.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cait
i thought the key had something special in it that makes the car start... and without it the car wont start..... i could be totally wrong
but a key without those special electronics wouldnt work....i think
I M SMRT
The point here is to have a spare key in your wallet/purse/whatever....so you can get into the car and get the keys with the electronic starting stuff out of the ignition

But I am not sure how to lock them in there without that key right now....

S
I M SMRT
Ok now don't take this the wrong way....I have thought about it and unless I am forgetting something....how do you lock yourself out? I haven't yet as I always have had my key and only use the fob to lock the car...

Did you lock it with the central locking system? I played with that once and couldnt get the door to stay locked after I hit the button and opened the door

Serious question as I have alwyas carried a spare key in my wallet for such an occasion before I had a car with electric remote locks.

Thanks!

S
Dent
oooops biglaugh.gif

When I posted, I just knew there was a keyhole somewhere I didn't see, just to make me look bad.
Awesys
QUOTE (Cait)
i thought the key had something special in it that makes the car start... and without it the car wont start..... i could be totally wrong
but a key without those special electronics wouldnt work....i think
I think the immobilizer is only activated when you hit "lock" on your remote. Can someone confirm this? I don't think the key has any special microchip on it, as usually you would be able to see a small black square on the top of the metal part of the key.

QUOTE (I M SMRT)
Ok now don't take this the wrong way....I have thought about it and unless I am forgetting something....how do you lock yourself out? I haven't yet as I always have had my key and only use the fob to lock the car...
Doesn't the smart lock itself after x number of minutes without anything being touched in the car?
I M SMRT
QUOTE (Awesys)
Doesn't the smart lock itself after x number of minutes without anything being touched in the car?

I think that works if you unlock the car....then do not open the door for X minutes. It will relock itself. My van gives me 30 seconds...not sure about the smart

S
Snuffy
1. Unlock rear window hatch with remote.

2. Load groceries into the trunk.

3. Put down or absent mindedly drop key into trunk.

4. Close hatch.

5. Voila! Keys locked inside the car.
Speedie
Or your 5 year old with attitude (not mine - I only have nieces and nephews and they are perfectly behaved devil.gif biglaugh.gif ) that discovers the lock button while you are temporarily out of the car with the key inside (i.e. not far enough away to foster a visit from Children's services).

Spare key - open hatch - attitude adjustment and you are on your way (do 5 year olds fit in the trunk if they are duct taped?).

Cheers,
Cameron
Malcolm
Yes, 5 yr. olds will fit, but only if they are trussed correctly as you tape them (after the mouth, tape the wrists, then ankles. Tuck the knees up towards the chest; tape securely behind the knees, wrapping around the back. Fold the lower legs down, and again tape-wrap to back. Un-tape wrists, bring arms forward and cross them above the knees, and re-tape). Lay the finished package on its back if you have the luggage cover fitted, on its side (facing the tailgate) if not. An assistant will be helpful if the child is obese.

Generally, it is much easier to observe W.C. Fields wisdom; just stay away from the little blighters!

drive.gif
I M SMRT
That works great! And that way you can stack them like tightly packed cordwood in the back of the smart!

S
Speedie
crackmeup.gif

and if you do it in front of a group of 5 year olds - you have a calming influence on a much broader audience. biglaugh.gif

Heck they might even hold the door open for you.

I have a cousin inlaw that is a locksmith - I will see what I can come up with for us Marmots (he lives up your end of the Island Sean). He had a look at the smart - figured it would be pretty hard to jimmy with out damaging something. I wasn't about to let him practice on mine. biglaugh.gif

Cheers,
Cameron
I M SMRT
C'mon take one for the team!

you have already done so much experimenting with your smart parts wise!

S
Speedie
Nothing that leaves a permanent mark biglaugh.gif I may take him some pictures of the lock mechanisms though.

Personally one of my projects to be done is fit each vehicle with a key safe (metal box with a combination lock) with a spare key. Stuff happens - like someone using the key as a pry bar (snap - oh #$%&) - or the wife has the key elsewhere and it is raining or you would rather not hang around the mall (I think I can reach the door from the hatch with out much trouble).

Worse "oops" for me was when I was out hiking in the middle of nowhere (i.e. a good 10km walk to a road and another 25km to a town). Throw keys on seat - lock passenger door - close door - walk around to driver's side - gee should have opened it first I guess. Fortunately there was a piece of aluminum trim (Ford I think) on the ground near by, a couple of rocks and a desperate Me. Jeeps jimmy real easy (shhhh!!!) so I was in in about 5 minutes.

Actually my younger sister and I used to have contests to see who could get into a car (ours - no criminal activity) quickest - she was better at it - but the practice certainly helped. On my old ford truck - if I didn't have the keys handy - it was faster to open the vent window with a hunk of welding rod then go get the keys.

Cheers,
Cameron
I M SMRT
our old ford pickup had the sliding rear windows...its fun sliding into the cab through those!

S
Speedie
That is where the 5 year old duct taped in the trunk comes in!!! I love it when a plan comes together biglaugh.gif

Cheers,
Cameron
Duck
Eek, the keeping a spare key-only in the wallet thing is a great idea. In my Tercel I used to always carry the spare key in my wallet, because I very often locked my keys in the car. I'm at a big risk of doing that in the fortwo as well, because I'm now in the habit of using the central lock button on the dash to lock the doors before I leave (in theory extending the battery life in the remote).

What you do is before you leave the car (with the engine still running), you press and hold the lock button on the dash. You have to wait about 0.5-1 second before you do the next step (on mine, anyway, otherwise something very weird happens!). But then you turn the key off and as soon as it gets to 0 you'll hear all the doors lock (which I think is very fun!). Shut doors, off you go. But for me I always pat my pocket to reassure myself that I have the key with me. Because yeah, this is exactly how you could really get in trouble easily.

Thanks for the tip Gary on where to find the part number for the blank! I think I'm going to get that done ASAP.

-Iain
I M SMRT
So you do all that with the doors closed? Then open and get out? Does it relock once you open the door?

S
Duck
Hmm...

Initial state:

-Doors all closed
-Engine operating/Key in "1"

1. Open door(s).
2. Hold down dash-mounted door lock switch
3. Turn Key to 0 (turn off engine) and remove key. Doors will all lock.
4. Exit vehicle and shut (locked) doors.

It is not very clear in the manual how to do this as there appears several ways to do it, but this is the one I've had the most sucess with.

-Iain
I M SMRT
I will give it a try...last time I had engine running and doors closed when I hit it...so as soon as I pulled the handle the door opened but it didnt relock...

Duh... cheeky.gif

S
SmartieParts
QUOTE (Speedie)
psssttt - have a look at the tailgate
biglaugh.gif
- the method for a lockout is the same as if the battery in the fob goes dead - open the hatch - contort a bit - retrieve the key or the battery for the fob.

Cheers,
Cameron

no need to contort at all. So long as its just your fob battery that is dead and not your car batter, when you use the physical key to unlock the tailgate your doors unlock automatically.

- Steven
Speedie
Ah! good to know - those 5 year olds are in trouble now!

Cheers,
Cameron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.