Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOW TO: Replace the rear brake light
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > How-To: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel
ARTZ
How does one replace the rear brake light? Mine was dead this morning so I have to go put one in tonight. Is it straight forward or do I need a certain tool for change the rear tail light. The one that is blown out is the left hand side turn signal that is the 2nd one down (in the middle).

I found that the bulbs is P21/5W (or 1157 in Canadian terms). Is that correct? And I am also assuming that the bulb is clear.

On a side note: The SUBJECT of this topic is "HOW TO" which is not a How To until there is a response to this question. BlahBlah.gif So, it will be a How To eventually. biglaugh.gif
smart142
You need a 10mm socket to take off the 2 nuts on the inner side of the housing,and then the whole unit can be pulled towards you and will come off.
bilgladstone
Yep. What he said ^^. Easy-peasy.

Open the hatch. Remove the two nuts on the inner side of the light assembly. Then the unit "hinges" out on two curved pins on the front side of the assembly.

Once off, you will see that the red lens portion is itself a sealed unit within the black (or silver) outer shell. Two finger-clips on one side - and two tab/slot alignments on the opposite side release this.

Then another set of clips - centrally, one either side of the lens housing itself removes the lens from the light/reflector portion. Bulbs are bayonet type press-in and turn to release. After inserting new bulbs, wipe the glass with micro-fibre cloth and VERY GENTLY dust the refectors if necessary.

Seems the first to fail is the center bulb left turn. Intuitively this will be a clear bulb, but on mine it's amber. I'll probably replace it with a clear one next chance I get.

The top bulb is the 1157 type with 160* offset pins. The centre is the simple 1156 type. The bottom (reversing lamp), I don't know - never had it out. Others here can give you the actual EU descriptors.

Once you do this once or twice, you get the time down to just a few minutes to swap out a bulb. Note: don't bother with LEDs or Xenon bulbs in these locations as they are both too dim. Been-there-done-that and back again smile.gif
smart142
I put led's in the centre spot and love the effect. The led comes on first and then the top bulb-a staggerred look.
ARTZ
Thanks for the info.

However, our cars must be SMART because during the day yesterday my smart car must have went into "self-healing" mode because the bulb was no longer burnt out cheeky.gif . Did anyone else know that these smart cars were self healing?

I am going to take the lights out this weekend to see if the connection is lose or something like that. I will try to take some pictures so that it can help other owners.

Later.
darren
QUOTE (smart142)
I put led's in the centre spot and love the effect. The led comes on first and then the top bulb-a staggerred look.

Which LEDs did you use for the turn signal indicators? Is there room inside the housing to safely install the resistors, or did you replace your flasher relay?

On a related note, is our high-mounted brake light incandescent or LED? I've never been behind another smart long enough to notice.
ARTZ
QUOTE (gotsmart)
On a related note, is our high-mounted brake light incandescent or LED? I've never been behind another smart long enough to notice.

Just step on the break pedal and jump out of the car and move to the back of the car and look at your own lights. biglaugh.gif The car isn't too long you should be able to do that. Or get a long broom handle and push the break pedal from the back of the car through the hatch. exitright.gif
bilgladstone
QUOTE (ARTZ)
Thanks for the info.
However, our cars must be SMART because during the day yesterday my smart car must have went into "self-healing" mode because the bulb was no longer burnt out cheeky.gif . Did anyone else know that these smart cars were self healing?
I am going to take the lights out this weekend to see if the connection is lose or something like that. I will try to take some pictures so that it can help other owners.
Later.

I've experienced this effect several times. In one case it was because the bulb was loose in the socket - wouldn't work, then I went over a speedbump and it worked again for awhile. Another time a bulb was actually failing and the filament sometimes touched and sometimes not.
I hope yours is the former. robot.gif
Evilution
http://www.evilution.co.uk/rearlights.htm
ARTZ
Evilution has a great website. You can always find any infrmation that you need there.

Thanks, Evilution!!
smart142
QUOTE (gotsmart)
QUOTE (smart142)

Which LEDs did you use for the turn signal indicators? Is there room inside the housing to safely install the resistors, or did you replace your flasher relay?

I used the 1156 led bulbs with no resistors and did not replace the flasher relay. When turning,the first flash is normal and then it goes into ''hyper'' mode with rapid flashing(like what happens when you have a burnt out bulb). It is far more noticeable! I asked a gentleman who teaches electronics if the rapid flashing would harm the flasher relay and he said it would cause no harm.
The problem with loose contacts is that the metal sub plate on the lense assembly heats up the plastic rivits melt and the tension on the bulb causes the bulb to push away the socket you can fix them
remove all the bulbs from the holder and melt the plastic rivits on the bulb holder to tighten the plate back up (good as new in two minute's)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.