houseofdiesel

So How Many Clear 600kms A Tank?

295 posts in this topic

Thanks..But I feel I did some really poor driving today. I was in la-la land and forgot to upshift into 6th and was driving at about 2800 RPM's for a long while in 5th. owell I guess that happends after a long day at work.I think once my gift cards for gas run out I am going to try out Sunoco Gold Diesel and see if that will help any.

dennisc72 - Don't you find driving that fast kills your gas milage? Also how far do you go on 0.0L in your tank? I always start to get a little worried at 3.0L HAHA! :D

I usually stay around 110 but I have gone up to 132 once or twice. I get 4.1 liters/100 km. Each time I fill I fill to the very top so I can see the fuel just below where the cap attaches. I can just divide the liters by the 100s of km and get an accurate result each time.I've only seen 0.0 twice, that day, when I was 6-7 km from filling, and once when I'd been to my favourite station twice only to find they had run out of diesel the first time and still didn't have any 10 hours later. I might have driven 12 km to get back home and then to another station to finally fill up. I've heard there is a 2 liter reserve after it shows 0.0.

I usually stay around 110 but I have gone up to 132 once or twice. I get 4.1 liters/100 km. Each time I fill I fill to the very top so I can see the fuel just below where the cap attaches. I can just divide the liters by the 100s of km and get an accurate result each time.I've only seen 0.0 twice, that day, when I was 6-7 km from filling, and once when I'd been to my favourite station twice only to find they had run out of diesel the first time and still didn't have any 10 hours later. I might have driven 12 km to get back home and then to another station to finally fill up. I've heard there is a 2 liter reserve after it shows 0.0.

Well how many reserves are there? How big is our tank? I figure it is about 23L or so? But only 18L's before it tells us that there is only 5 L left. am I right? Anyways Today i found everyone and their grandma was passing me on the highway. It is really hard to go about 100-105km everyone seems to pass. though if you leave early enough to get to work it is a nice way to spend your morning driving and watching the sun sparkle off the dew in the farmers feilds.Well, Maybe This tank will turn out to be a good one.Cheers all! :)

Yeah every Sunoco is turning into a Petro/Huskey now. So if there is no Sunoco Gold what type of Diesel is everyone going to start using then? Is there really that much of a difference? :questionmark:

If it's an independent Petro Canada or Husky, it depends which terminal supplies their diesel. I'm lucky that all the local indies (as well as the Suncor o/o Petro-Can stations, obviously) get theirs from the Suncor Refinery right down the highway, so it's the best available diesel in Canada -- and the same as Gold.

Yeah every Sunoco is turning into a Petro/Huskey now. So if there is no Sunoco Gold what type of Diesel is everyone going to start using then? Is there really that much of a difference? :questionmark:

I regularly fill with fuel from a local TA station (supplier unknown at this time). I will fill in that information when I get it.I get it there because it is a popular truck stop / service centre. The fuel is always fresh. Since diesel fuel is hygroscopic, (absorbs water) there is less chance of getting water in your fuel with fresh diesel.

I regularly fill with fuel from a local TA station (supplier unknown at this time). I will fill in that information when I get it.I get it there because it is a popular truck stop / service centre. The fuel is always fresh. Since diesel fuel is hygroscopic, (absorbs water) there is less chance of getting water in your fuel with fresh diesel.

Well I knew about Diesel getting water in it if it sits. However, isn't that what that light is for on the middle inlet is telling us, that it's getting ride of all the water? which if it is on a long time mean you have more water then diesel in your tank ... HAHA :lol: So how do I figure out my L/100KM on my own? with out a web page. just a simpale calculator? If I have used 3 out of the 5 dots. about how much L have I used? And if I still have 2 dots and gone 340KM is that good? So what is a good formula to use to figure our my L/100KM Thanks everyone. :)

Take the number of litres, put two zeroes on the end (or multiply by 100 ;)), then divide by distance. In other words, say you went 650 Km on 26 L. 2600/650=4.0 L/100 Km.

Ideally, you should be filling at the same pump facing the same direction every time, for consistency. Always try to stop at the same amount, too. I've gotten to the point where at my usual pump, I know that I can squeeze in another 1.9 L after the pump shuts off automatically. Using the "finger-over-the-hole" method is very easy for this. I can get the last 1.9 L into the tank in about 30 seconds with no foam.

In terms of what the "blobs" on a 450 represent, we only have guidelines as all cars seem slightly different. The top one is entirely dependent on how much fuel you squeeze in. It will be on when the tank is "full" but you can squeeze up to about another 4 L in after it should be on. That's why you'll hear reports of "I only got 70 Km on the first blob" or (mine, last week) "I got 233 Km on the first blob!"The second blob is the "small" one of the lot. I usually get about 60 Km on it when my ScanGauge shows I'm averaging 3.5 to 4.0 L/100 Km, so I surmise that is must be about two Litres. The third and fourth blobs are about four Litres each, and theoretically when the third one goes out you have 11 L ("half" a 22 L tank) remaining. Once the fourth one goes out, there are seven Litres left; the fifth also goes out after four Litres, when the indicator shows "3.0 L" remaining.

So how many clear 700 kms a tank? :D

I went on my regular drive to the States today, starting out with "4.0 L" on the the indicator. Averaged 3.3 on the way down, and and was at "1.0 L" when I came up to an Esso with diesel about 80 Km from home... and 727 Km showing on the trip odometer. With the way this thing has been sipping fuel lately, I suppose I could have gone another 60 or more Km further, but the next diesel station along that route (about 50 Km away) is full-serve and no-name. I decided to do a five litre splash-and-go, and drive to my usual Petro-Can near home. There, after averaging 3.2 LHK for the drive, I squeezed in another 22.9 L to the lip. The aggregate? 807 Km on 27.78 L -- 3.44 L/100 Km!

Since I don't SuperFill, I would not be going there, but the bottom line is 3.44 is impressive as heck. good job.

I was thinking of filling my tires with more PSI. I know it says on the tire what I should put in but how close or far away should I do it? Or can I go over it??? I never been this excited to have good milage. I want to try anything.700km... thats crazy... I think I would be so scared when the dial reads anything less then 3.0L HAHAH :lol:well good job sameguy! Good job!

I've been running at around 31 front, 35 rear, though I honestly don't adjust them until I see a big drop -- usually when it starts to get really cold. When I checked the other day, they were at 29/33. It seems it's getting easier for me to put up these crazy numbers without using real hyper-miling techniques, but I do nevertheless keep my eye on the ScanGauge all the time. If you don't have one, you should get it ASAP. One of the best and easiest ways to improve your fuel economy right away.

I've been running at around 31 front, 35 rear, though I honestly don't adjust them until I see a big drop -- usually when it starts to get really cold. When I checked the other day, they were at 29/33. It seems it's getting easier for me to put up these crazy numbers without using real hyper-miling techniques, but I do nevertheless keep my eye on the ScanGauge all the time. If you don't have one, you should get it ASAP. One of the best and easiest ways to improve your fuel economy right away.

I bet, but I can afford one. Maybe after Christmas... I have a trip to plan for plus I want to get the Euro Light Mod done, and then Cruise control. Plus i Need winters ... Back highways to work ... Need snows for sure.Plus Christmas ... ScanGauge can wait till after in the new year when I get a raise. LOL!!!I bet that thing is crazy cool though.Cheers

It is cool. I waited until after my first Xmas with the car, too. Same deal, lots of other expenses. :)

I totally Bet my old record by 36km's witha round trip on one tank of 556km's. 0.0 flashing and all. However I pulled into a gas station no problem.I would like to get 600km on this tank because I superfilled it. (Just for fun) to see if i can get 3.9L/100KM ... But adding that extra fuel adds weight but do you think that is a factor?Anyways I am having super fun trying these trick to get better milage.Cheers :speak_cool:

I bet, but I can afford one. Maybe after Christmas... I have a trip to plan for plus I want to get the Euro Light Mod done, and then Cruise control. Plus i Need winters ... Back highways to work ... Need snows for sure.Cheers

Speak to "Uncle Glenn" (smart142). He's in your area and does great work on smarts. He did the Euro Light Mod and cruise control on mine plus all the "A" and "B" sevices. The man knows what he's doing. :thumbsup_anim:

But adding that extra fuel adds weight but do you think that is a factor?

No; each litre of fuel is less than 1 kg of additional mass.-Iain

1 L of diesel = about 890 g, pretty negligible.....I always get 800 km a tank. In the B :P

1 L of diesel = about 890 g, pretty negligible.....I always get 800 km a tank. In the B :P

WHat do you mean you always get 800km in the B? Because I would love that...HAHA! Yes Leadwing I am getting "Uncle Glenn" to do my Euro Mod in like two weeks (Just saving up) I can hardly wait. It is so much fun doing little things like that to your SMart. And around Dec. when I get an Inflex in cash (I'll be working my other jobs in the winter) to put on cruise control!!! ~ who's excited ??? I am~~Duck - Thank you, I figured as much so but I was just checkig... So far so go witht he super fill. I have gone farther then Even with 150km on the first dot. so your right it's such a little amount it doesn't matter.Cheers

Oh I see.. well that is cheating :lol: Well, I'm testing out how far this tank will go. It's like a game to me now and it is fun. And After Christmas I can't wait to save up for a Scan gauge. that should be fun too.

OK, I confess. I cheat a little too :icon_redface: My 22 year old Honda Civic regularly gets about 750 - 800 kms per tank. (46 L tank) :P