houseofdiesel

So How Many Clear 600kms A Tank?

295 posts in this topic

I just realized 600kms on my last tank, without the scanguage hooked up and not really trying terribly hard, it has been windy and rainy the last week or so around Ottawa so I know I can do MUCH better. Just wondering how many clear the 600 mark on every tank of fuel? I have always been in the 500 range, taking 17-18L to fill, I never see 20L on a fill yet, I live far away from Sunoco Gold so when I am near the pump I fill up. The car only has 15000kms to date, 06 Cabrio Pure. I usually have the top/windows down unless it is raining. I have yet to match my VW Passat's record of 3L/100km but I don't think the engine is "worn in" enough yet to see the low rpms that takes. Greg

I am getting 6 L / 100km . 300Km to 18L of fuel in the city and highway consistently. Would you agree that there is something wrong?????!!!????

I think that 6 litres per hundred Kilometres is fair going at the speed you are doing. Because the smart is shaped like a brick, as soon as you start going much over 100 km/h your l/100 Kms quickly goes up.my 2 centsRoy

I think that 6 litres per hundred Kilometres is fair going at the speed you are doing. Because the smart is shaped like a brick, as soon as you start going much over 100 km/h your l/100 Kms quickly goes up.my 2 centsRoy

I will go 100 km to test this out and take highway 2 at 80 km hr when I go to see my family in chathamWould you expect 6L / 100 km in the city too. When I am litterly getting half the fuel economy as every one else it makes you wonder if your driving is really the cause or wonder if there is an issue with the car

Have you experienced my ratings your self then?

I will go 100 km to test this out and take highway 2 at 80 km hr when I go to see my family in chatham

Would you expect 6L / 100 km in the city too. When I am litterly getting half the fuel economy as every one else it makes you wonder if your driving is really the cause or wonder if there is an issue with the car

Just a suggestion, so take it as that.....Try doing your trip down the 403 at or near 100 kph for one day and do the fill-up..There should be a difference. I take the 401 and 'generally' travel at about 105 kph. I stick to the right lane and other traffic just goes around me. My mileage is acceptable to me, but unless I am in a hurry, the speeds are in line with the speeds that big trucks are limited to in Ontario. A little creative "drafting" will help too. If these suggestions don't help, you might try talking to 'Uncle Glenn' (smart142). He's in the London area. Just PM him with your questions.

Works for me!

Ron :bike:

When we drove our white car across the USA in February, we averaged just under 5 L/100 km at 120-130 km/h. the ScanGauge was reporting up to 6.0. 6 is a bit high therefore, for 120 km/h.

When we drove our white car across the USA in February, we averaged just under 5 L/100 km at 120-130 km/h. the ScanGauge was reporting up to 6.0. 6 is a bit high therefore, for 120 km/h.

I excpected just under 5 when I bought it and 4 when I was working for it. I added an after market conditioner at one point but I failed to check my milage. Anyway 6 is good along side other vehicles but it bothers me when others are getting 3 l / 100 km. I heard of a couple who towed a 1000 lbs tent trailer all through the states. I can only imagine what their milage was Edited by FinallyGotOne

I excpected just under 5 when I bought it and 4 when I was working for it. I added an after market conditioner at one point but I failed to check my milage. Anyway 6 is good along side other vehicles but it bothers me when others are getting 3 l / 100 km. I heard of a couple who towed a 1000 lbs tent trailer all through the states. I can only imagine what their milage was

I agree, but they must be going super slow as well. Because I drive to work everyday on a 80km HWY and I only get between 3.78 (My very best to date) - 4.4 L/100km for some reason i get 4.1 and 4.2 all the time...to the last to fill up ave been the worse. 4.4 and 4.8 ... must be a change in the diesel in town.Cheers

6L/100km seems high, you must be pushing the engine hard all the time. Is this your first diesel? I find most people who are not used to diesels don't know how to get great fuel economy (not insulting anyone), I grew up in diesels as a baby and have driving them all my life. When I drive my gas powered cars I find the speed doesn't really affect it all that much, 100-120km/h might change a small amount. A diesel it make a HUGE difference. For example my diesel Jettas turn in 70mpg at 100, but at 120 they do about 55mpg, percentage wise a big difference. I don't drive my smart over 90km/h, the fuel economy just falls off to fast. I try not to use more then 60% of the engines power (according to scanguage), or atleast that is my reference point. My diesel vw's I stick to 40%. I live in the country and NEVER experience "rush hour", I avoid traffic like a plague I hate it. On winter weekends I end up in a long line to ski country, drive me nuts to get stuck behind everyone slowing down for corners or snow...I like to keep my speed constant and conserve energy, corner hard and coast on downhills.

6L/100km seems high, you must be pushing the engine hard all the time. Is this your first diesel? I find most people who are not used to diesels don't know how to get great fuel economy (not insulting anyone), I grew up in diesels as a baby and have driving them all my life. When I drive my gas powered cars I find the speed doesn't really affect it all that much, 100-120km/h might change a small amount. A diesel it make a HUGE difference. For example my diesel Jettas turn in 70mpg at 100, but at 120 they do about 55mpg, percentage wise a big difference. I don't drive my smart over 90km/h, the fuel economy just falls off to fast. I try not to use more then 60% of the engines power (according to scanguage), or atleast that is my reference point. My diesel vw's I stick to 40%. I live in the country and NEVER experience "rush hour", I avoid traffic like a plague I hate it. On winter weekends I end up in a long line to ski country, drive me nuts to get stuck behind everyone slowing down for corners or snow...I like to keep my speed constant and conserve energy, corner hard and coast on downhills.

Ok ... I see what your saying.... And I try my hardest to stay at between 80km and 90km... but these past few weeks (I'm going to blame the snow) I am only doing like 4.8-5.0L/100km... That is huge in my books... I want to keep it as low as possible and it is getting on my nerves. owell it has to be a combo of winter fuel and winter tires and all this snow making it suck up the gas.

Ok good news!I have gone over 415km and just lost my second last blob..one blob to go and maybe 70km. with this bad diesel... Hance I might get a good L/KM this week.... (Also found in an other post that my heat booster was on! :blush: ) Now to figure out this EBox thing :confused: and I should be back to my good old self!

Edited by derekbrochu

Also found in an other post that my heat booster was on! :blush: )

From my drive in this morning running a little over 2500 RPM the heat booster is only consuming .2 to .3 LPH. I am not 100% sure the heater was at full output but at those numbers I would rather be comfortable with the booster on.

From my drive in this morning running a little over 2500 RPM the heat booster is only consuming .2 to .3 LPH. I am not 100% sure the heater was at full output but at those numbers I would rather be comfortable with the booster on.

Well I am not sure how you got those number (Unless you have one of those cool Scan gauges) I need to get one after the holidays.But I didn't realise mine was even on. it was always on. and i was putting up numbers between 4.8 and 5.1 I can't have that... LOL! Turned it off went for a long country drive on the weekend to K-Town and back and got 3.85L/100Km I feel great about that... now I am not sure it that is 100% good computing because I think I might have did a super fill for an extra liter last fill. But still my average is a bit better with this fill being low. Also because I have the plug from the batter well out, I have my car all warmed up with a small space heater that goes on when the block heater is pluged in. it is comfy warm when I get in. Both for me and my Smart :DWell, I guess I will keep on trucking... now all i need to do is get this ebox/break thingy fixed so I can use my key fob again to lock my doors LOL!

Would driving at 90-100 km/h rather than 110-120 REALLY make that much difference in fuel economy?? I drive 620 km on the highway every week at 110-120 unless the weather is bad or traffic is backed up and have been getting 4.1 l/100 km until the weather started to get cold.I also wonder how you get 26 liters in! I've driven 10-12 km after 0.0 flashes and the best I've done is 23.2 liters. That was filling until I could see the fuel up to the bottom of where the cap screws in. Doesn't it only have a 22 liter tank with 1-2 liters of hidden reserve?Would the 33 liter tank for a 451 fit in a 450? I see there is plenty of room but the tank could be shaped differently or have the attaching lugs or filler pipe in different places.

I asked those same questions too! And I drive between 80-90km on back hwys now... very rare on 401. And I find that 85 is the best speed for my little Cdi. I am getting about 3.8-4.1 when I do so... More under the 4 then over. But as of late with the stupid heater booster on I wasn't. I also find the block heater helps my car stay fit so it doesn't have to have those poor cold :snow: Starts... if your getting 4.1 at those speeds then I wouldn't complain really...

My monster snow tires make a huge impact; I haven't cleared 500 the last few tanks (tires went on 15 December). It has also been really cold this winter, with a near-constant coating of snow or slush on most side roads, affecting rolling resistance. I don't think I've been below 5.4 L/100 Km the last four tanks, many thanks to parking in a remote lot at work for 8-14 hours in double-digits below zero temperatures.

My monster snow tires make a huge impact; I haven't cleared 500 the last few tanks (tires went on 15 December). It has also been really cold this winter, with a near-constant coating of snow or slush on most side roads, affecting rolling resistance. I don't think I've been below 5.4 L/100 Km the last four tanks, many thanks to parking in a remote lot at work for 8-14 hours in double-digits below zero temperatures.

SO you don't plug in? Me either durning the day :( So for one trip of 45km every day My car isn't plugged in... all the rest of my trips I can plug in Thank GOD!!! because it is so cold outside. And they are calling for 30 cm of snow tomrrow night with big gust of wind and lots of snow drifts. YIKES!!:cold: I am cold just thinking about it.However I would like to think I am doing really well then with my gas milage since I'm getting about 4.3L/100KM per tank!

Unless there is no plug-in available,i just can't understand why these (diesel) smart cars are not being plugged in during the winter!Mercedes-Benz says right in your owner's manual,that these cars are SUPPOSED to be plugged in-- "For two hours,for temperatures from 0-celcius to -10 celcius,and for temperatures BELOW -10 celcius,plug it in for three hours".As the diesel takes a lot longer to warm up when it is NOT plugged in,it pollutes a lot more when the engine is cold.The car's occupants stay colder,longer too,and it's very hard on the motor too.

Unless there is no plug-in available,i just can't understand why these (diesel) smart cars are not being plugged in during the winter!Mercedes-Benz says right in your owner's manual,that these cars are SUPPOSED to be plugged in-- "For two hours,for temperatures from 0-celcius to -10 celcius,and for temperatures BELOW -10 celcius,plug it in for three hours".As the diesel takes a lot longer to warm up when it is NOT plugged in,it pollutes a lot more when the engine is cold.The car's occupants stay colder,longer too,and it's very hard on the motor too.

Totally agree with you.. how ever London Ont. isn't very well planned out for plugs yet... hope in the near future we will get in on that bus!Also I work in Thamesford... No plugs here either... Smaller town then London (it's only 1/20 the size if that) But it's plug in for 3 hours before work and as soon as I get home (regardless what my condo says) I plug my car in so it stay warms so that If I go out in during the evening it is still warm and ready to go!Does that make more sense? I am thinking of something like a portable plug does is that invented yet???? :biglaugh:

It's good that your plugging your car in whenever you can.It bugs me a bit when many smart owners complain about not enough heat in the winter,and yet don't bother to plug in their diesel car "because it still starts".Some of the smart cars that suffered early engine failures,may have been the result of this sort of thing. It's OK to start the cold engine and lt it idle for 30 seconds,then drive it,as long as it's driven gently for the first few Kilometers untill the temperature display shows a bit of heat.In fact the owner's manual says exactly the same thing;"not to idle for more than 30 seconds" as this wastes fuel.The car does throw heat faster,after it's plugged in.The fuel milage is also better this way,and less pollution is the result.

Humm, it appears that I don't make it into the 600 km club again. Just filled with 16 litres after 259 km of city driving. The previous fill up was worse but then I got stuck a few times before installing some IceBears.The cdi overnights in a 10°C garage and is plugged in during the day. Either its still not grateful or the technique requires improvement.Raymond

Edited by RDL

7.6 L/100 km has to be the worst smart diesel fuel consumption I've ever seen. My B 200 burns less!