Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolsen

External Door handle repair cables for Smart 450

9 posts in this topic

Outer door handle repair cables are now available for the Smart 450. Comes with silver brazed end piece at door handle end and a unique special design, thoroughly tested and easily fitted grub screw end piece at lock lever end. Breaking strength of this stainless steel repair cable is about twice that of the original Smart carbon steel cable.

Posted Image

Price per repair cable is 25 CAD including standard small packet air delivery. Add 7.50 CAD per order for trackable delivery (Royal Mail Airsure).

Each brazed end piece is proof load tested to min 50 kg tension before delivery. Grub screw end piece has been type Portland tested. Tensile capacity of cable is 115 kg. Cable is 1.2 mm diameter stainless steel. End fittings are bronze or brass and with stainless steel grub screw at lock lever end. Lock lever end of cable is silver brazed at the tip to avoid cable fraying when feeding through existing outer housing. The silver brazed tip also increases tensile capacity of the grub screw end piece termination.

Please note that these are superior hand crafted cables and not available from Smart, Canadian Tire or other shops.

For further details read this thread on Smartz forum.

Sales contact:

tolsen@talktalk.net

Fitting Instructions:

See Evilution or FQ101 for instructions on how to remove door handle and carry out lock maintenance.

Unclip cable as shown in below photo using the smallest flat bladed screwdriver you have in your tool kit.

Posted Image

Even a smaller screwdriver is required to remove the end piece that connects to the door handle where the cable usually snaps off. This end piece has to be pushed out straight as otherwise it may jam.

Lubricate repair cable and inside of cable housing. Tallow, chainsaw bar oil, thick gear oil, Vaseline, Teflon grease, chassis grease, CV joint grease or white grease etc are suitable lubes.

Feed repair cable through the housing from clip end. There is sometimes a sharp bend in the housing where it connects to lock case. Push cable and twist clockwise through housing. Twisting clockwise avoids bird caging of the cable. In case of difficulty, try straightening the sharp bend where the outer connects to lock case.

Hold the grub screw end piece in your left hand with index finger covering the hole. Feed cable into the end piece until you can feel its tip with your index finger. Finger tighten grub screw using a 2 mm Allen key. Tip of cable should protrude no more than 1 mm (tolerance flush to 1 mm protrusion). Tighten further holding the end piece with a pair of pliers or an adjustable spanner.

Posted Image

Thread lock such as Locktite or Superglue may be used but I don't think there is any need for that.

Fitting assembled door handle cable and door handle is the reversal of the removal as they (Haynes et al) say.

Posted Image

Above photo shows how grub screw end piece fits at lock case end.

Operate above lever manually to confirm satisfactory operation of lock case. Lubricate lock case as and adjust as deemed necessary.

Edited by tolsen

Portland Tester

Thought I should show my Portland tester:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can test the cable in increments of 25 kg using bags of Portland cement.

:biglaugh: I'm impressed!!!Glad I bought two (thanks for the speedy delivery) . I doubt if they will break.

Silver has rocketed 85% causing silver brazing rods to increase nearly by same amount. Due to higher consumables and material costs I regret to advise that the asking price for my repair cable is now 25 CAD inclusive of delivery.

Silver is just nuts lately - I am teaching silversmithing and it is getting to be a challenge to keep it affordable for beginners - good thing copper sheet is still not too bad. Unfortunately there is nothing you can replace silver brazing with effectively.Cheers,Cameron

Hi, i live in canada and sometimes this winter i would go pick soemone up in the morning on the way to work and once they opened the door it would not close? You could slam it all you want and the latch just wouldnt catch. I tried going in with a screw driver, WD40, even a hair dryer because i thought it was frozen (for 45 minutes). The door still wouldnt close.Would these new cables fix this problem?

That sounds like a lock case problem. Any lock case requires some lubrication and maintenance from time to time or it may seize up and stop functioning. A partly seized lock case may soon cause both door handle cables to break due to the much higher load required to operate the release mechanism. Whilst the internal door handle cable does not cost that much, the external door handle cable can not be bought on its own but comes with the complete door handle so rather expensive. My repair cable allows you to repair your door without having to fork out too much. The repair cable is also much stronger than the existing cable so should last a lot longer, hopefully outlast your Smart provided you have lubed repair cable and its housing when fitting it and maintained your lock case.PS. WD40 evaporates quickly and dries out. You need a good grease type lubricant for long term lubrication. Edited by tolsen

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More