Sydney

noise in engine

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

and i would get in there with a mirror and flashlight while slowly turning the engine over to see what part of the flywheel is touching the starter

The joys of a bore scope, they come semi cheap at our favorite store every now and then, just below the $100 mark. I've had one for years, OK, I've had two ....my first one I had down the bore of my bike engine when I slipped and hit the starter button and it jumped around and crushed the camera end....augh!!!  Left a nasty mark in the head and crushed the end of said bore scope.  OH and a head gasket and some careful

sanding......sniff sniff....

ok,  here is an update.  i installed the starter and removed the clutch actuator  (thinking that i could see the flywheel moving around thru the clutch actuator hole).

i was able to start the car a couple of times before the car realized the actuator was not there and gave me 3 bars. 

and bingo the car ran fine with no horrible noise and nothing hitting the starter.  i put the clutch actuator bad on, cycle thru the gears to clear the 3 bars,  start the car and the noise is back...  so it HAS to have something to do with the clutch disc or pressure plate.

Release bearing and it's mechanism...?

19 minutes ago, Willys said:

Release bearing and it's mechanism...?

i think now i am at the point of removing the trans.   also i found out the hard way that once a 451 clutch actuator fully extends itself,   it is a major PITA to get retracted.  lol.

1 minute ago, Sydney said:

i think now i am at the point of removing the trans.   also i found out the hard way that once a 451 clutch actuator fully extends itself,   it is a major PITA to get retracted.  lol.

Do you have the sub frame out? IF so perhaps easier to remove engine...?  No need to upset suspension ...?   But I guess you still need to get all the extra garbage off the structure just to get to bolts  holding the trans and engine together.....Hmmm.....now I realize how easy it was to simply tear the whole thing apart when I got deep into looking at things...lol.

Once you get half way down rabbit hole, the last half is a cake walk...lol

Had to take a break from my smarts for a couple of weeks to get some things done.

I'm starting back on my diagnosis of what's hitting the starter, so out comes the trans. I have everything loose and ready to start removing things, my question is the shift cable? Does it just snap off? I can't really figure it out.  

27 minutes ago, Willys said:

Shift cable...?

there is a cable that comes from the shift lever and attaches to the trans by the electric shift motor  (not on a 450).

i assume it might have something to do with the fact the 451 actually has a "park" position on the shift lever.

1 person likes this

Not a 450, thank god, I was thinking I was losing my brain cells not remembering where the shift cable was...lol.

Here is a close up of the cable end. Is it a snap lock fitting on a round ball. And if I accidentally move the arm when disconnected, will it screw anything up. I know 450's, but not familiar with the 451's and I no spare parts if a break this.

IMG_20210301_200558.jpg

still can't figure out how to get it off,  but i figured out what it is.  its a cable that locks the trans in park.  called a "Parking Pawl Cable"

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't think I'd try to pry it off...: 

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/smart-fortwo-shifter-cable.155731/post-1687966

The "issue" for my '08 is that the end of the cable has a snap fitting that goes into a ball mounted on the transmission. That end, over time, rusted and eventually lost it grip on the ball and fell off so shifting was futile and it was stuck in park

smart 451 parking pawl.jpg

is the threaded stud that goes in to the transmission "notched" or have a flat face? The graphic above KIND OF looks like it but I can't tell for sure and can't tell from your photo.

If there IS a flat I'd just take the nut off on the selector rod and lift the metal lever off. 

Edited by Dewie
1 person likes this

After a bit of a break, I pulled the trans today, came out surprisingly easy. And I found the cause of the noise.   (supposed to be 2 pieces, not 3)

IMG_20210403_181634.jpg

2 people like this

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

that could be a bit of a problem 

Going to order a new SACS replacement from germanparts.ca

18 hours ago, Sydney said:

Going to order a new SACS replacement from germanparts.ca

rockauto also has the sachs...much cheaper but says only 1 remaining

also looks like it comes with the bearing and a new release arm

Edited by LooseLugNuts

That is supposed to be a single piece item not 3...lol...I thought looking at the pic you finally took one apart then read the message...Hmmmm....yep I think you found the noise...lol.   I found the cheapest place was SM-SMART over in Germany to be the best, but considering all the KAOS in the world might not be the quickest at the moment?  If I remember right it was just over $300 with $41 shipping.  Back then in the beginning of COVID it was still very quick .  Good luck.  Also nice to see what one looks like disassembled. Thanks....OK, I know it was hard work getting it apart but .....lol

i wonder if the pressure plate & disc are the same between a 450cdi and a 451 gasser....   

ordered the sachs clutch & pressure plate today from rockauto.   $500 to my door is a bit hard to swallow for a car i only paid $250 for.  

but i know the break even point on this car,  and i still think i will be able to flip in and make some money.   

car will have a new starter, new clutch/pressure plate/clutch fork, new front and rear springs, and complete 4 wheel brake job.

ive basically given up on flipping ....the amount of scammers out there when you list a car for sale is absolutely crazy and very hard to weed out the actual real interested people 

the last few ive sold went to people i know ...except for one went to an obvious dealer posing as a dad buying for his daughter (the obvious lies these people come up with are ridiculous)

2 people like this

I usually run my vehicles into the ground.....either from over mileage or abuse. But since slowing down now after owning the Smart Car, and the fact I may one day have a basically new Smart Car to use I doubt highly I'll ever need to buy another car again. Touch wood.!!!  The days of speed are over even though I do have something that can get out of it's own way if need be sitting in the garage....it just gets 15 MPGs and THAT just eats at me and my mental stability now after the Smart Car's 80 MPGs....lol.

1 hour ago, Willys said:

I usually run my vehicles into the ground.....either from over mileage or abuse. But since slowing down now after owning the Smart Car, and the fact I may one day have a basically new Smart Car to use I doubt highly I'll ever need to buy another car again. Touch wood.!!!  The days of speed are over even though I do have something that can get out of it's own way if need be sitting in the garage....it just gets 15 MPGs and THAT just eats at me and my mental stability now after the Smart Car's 80 MPGs....lol.

i miss my smart when it comes to gas station visits but members here are constantly reminding me why i sent it off to new owners lol..my coupe was originally a flip idea but when i realized how low buyers interest was i decided to drive it ...i eventually did good plus i liked using it for a year or two and the new owner didnt care that it wasnt certified  ....my cabrio was owned by a friend who just didnt want to deal with the headache of selling so i bought it for a super price and fixed that one up good and sold it with certification 

im currently fixing up an 09 saturn vue awd for hunting season...i remember taking the smart hunting once and the first dirt puddle i hit immediately caused front wheel bearing noise lol.. i think that was the moment i decided to move on to the next set of wheels (which ended up being an equinox if i remember right)

Edited by LooseLugNuts

new clutch arrived last night,  now to start putting her back together.   i said i was going to sell it,  but i guess it wouldn't hurt to keep just one more.  lol   

clutch.jpg

2 people like this

majority of things are back together now,   started the car to make sure it still runs.  luckily everything seems fine.

just have to replace the cracked reluctor rings then throw the axles back in.   just waiting on the new rear springs to arrive.

2 people like this