Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheapohubby

Periodic click from passenger door?

14 posts in this topic

I'm hearing a periodic click that seems to be coming from the passenger door.  Sounds like a relay.  Rough timing is click, 8 seconds, click, then 20 seconds later repeat.  Everything seems to be working fine; window and lock seems to operate normally.  Anybody have an idea what it might be?  

I do not know but I'd be checking for a rubbed through wire either in door latch or hinge area...? 

OR....maybe your wife has planted a ticking bomb under the seat and it's counting down..?  lol

Where are you located...just curious?

Just seems kinda weird; what would the car be doing every 30 seconds in the door?  

We moved out to Nova Scotia, near Lunenburg (used to be in Ottawa).   Nearest MB dealer is Halifax, which is around a 3 hour round trip.

Get in touch with sydney he is in your area and works on Smarts.

I guess everything is "relative", but assuming Sydney's info is correct, Cape Breton is at least four hours away.

12 hours ago, cheapohubby said:

I guess everything is "relative", but assuming Sydney's info is correct, Cape Breton is at least four hours away.

When COVID finally leaves then you can get a motel and see Sydney and get the car repaired and still be cheaper than a stealership....lol.   OR you can get your hands dirty and start learning how to repair these little buckets yourself.....with all the help here, I'm sure you can do it.

1 person likes this

pop off the door skin and use a hose in your ear to pin point it 

or just your hand if its loud enough....has to be a door lock actuator or window motor...i cant think of anything else it could be other than those.....except maybe temperature expansion of plastic

Solved; previous owner had installed a driver's side remote switch for the passenger window which included a relay.  Looks like that relay has gone rogue, constantly trying to do something that was resulting in the window motor getting hot.  Removed the relay and reverted back to the original wiring, and it seems to be working properly without the click.

3 people like this

Might be one of those “single touch” window modules that was sold here a while ago.

weird thing to add into a smart......its not that far to just reach over to the passenger door window switch

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

weird thing to add into a smart......its not that far to just reach over to the passenger door window switch

The "No Slam" module which included the "express" up or down was useful because it would lower the window 2 - 3 cm. when the door is opened which allows the person closing the door to do so without the need to slam the door.  Once closed, the window automatically went back to "full up" position.  I have them on my coupe and they work just fine.  The "one touch" or "express", if you will, is just a bonus.  Just tap the button and it goes all the way up (or down) without the need to hold the button.

ddint mean that..i meant previous owner installing a second switch for passenger window when i remember it being very easy to just lean over 

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

ddint mean that..i meant previous owner installing a second switch for passenger window when i remember it being very easy to just lean over 

I think it was one of those add-ons that were popular in the early days; might even have gotten the same one for the other smartie if I recall.  But yes; not really all that useful.  Other than allowing you to do "dueling window control" with your passenger.

Posted (edited) · Report post

i did it to my plow truck (retrofitted power windows into manual doors) and its work well for when im plowing and need the window open to see the mirror but it just seems utterly ridiculous in such a small car (unless it is one of those kits mentioned above)

maybe previous owner had problems with their right arm or back is all i can think of for reasons to add another switch

Edited by LooseLugNuts