SmartSwede

Air condition problem.

18 posts in this topic

Hi! I bought a Smart 451 a month ago, and the a/c dont work. I have filled it and it sounds like it's working, but there is no cold air, only warm. Anybody got any idea of what it could be? 

SmartSwede. 

Welcome to the club SmartSwede!   Check to see if your a/c fluid is still full, if yes then see if your belt is on the pulley and check the wire that connects to the compressor .If all this is good look at the fuse.

Mostly you probably have a leak some where. Hope this helps. There could be one other but look at this first.

Thank You! I will check that, what fuse is it? I will let you know how it goes. 

SmartSwede. 

Hello again. I can't make it work, everything seems right, except the air, it's still warm. 

Bad compressor...?

Do you think that? It seems to go on and off, how can I tell that it's bad? 

The clutch goes on and off doesn't mean it's building pressure...?  Seeing as it doesn't work now, if you release the inlet port is there any pressure coming out of the valve?   I'm definately no expert at at all when it comes to air-con.....just throwing brown stuff at the wall to see if it sticks....as they say....? 

Well, I'm not good at a/c either, I search on Youtube and try to understand. I have filled it myself, so I maybe have done something wrong. Where is the inlet port? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

isn't the inlet port where you filled the system from...? Doesn't it have the same sort of valve as a tire has  that you can push down to release any pressure?  It I think has a plastic coloured screw on cap on it...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldNPhoIpN6c

Perhaps these will help...?
Perhaps your system requires it to be purged and then refilled...?   This requires a specialized machine and operator.

Edited by Willys

If memory serves, there have been several instances of faulty/broken interior temperature sensors causing the A/C to fail to function.  The sensor is located in the passenger footwell.

The high pressure line is the small or thin one and the larger is the inlet line. It should be in front by the condenser. When the fan control wares out or is damaged it prevents the air from coming on too.  Does the control unit function smoothly , does ether side click when the nob is raised and lowered or is it loose.  

Thank you for your answers, the inlet port is a little bit hard to get the hose on, so it leaks out some gas when I connect it. The control unit works as it shall. I will check the i-t sensor today, if it's okay I'll purge and refill it. I don't give up in the first time, I'm very patient. I keep on trying till it works. Thank you very much for your help. 

Greetings from a hot Sweden. 

21 hours ago, Willys said:

isn't the inlet port where you filled the system from...? Doesn't it have the same sort of valve as a tire has  that you can push down to release any pressure?  It I think has a plastic coloured screw on cap on it...?
Perhaps your system requires it to be purged and then refilled...?   This requires a specialized machine and operator.

i done many repairs to a/c without ever using a vacuum pump and never had a problem

i always do repairs on dry days ...and when i go to refill (usually with redtek r12a) i do a little purge first ....seems to work just fine

side note if you know someone who has an account with parts source they can get those redtek can for $6 instead of $15 or whatever the retail is (i think you have to buy 6 for the good price though)

Now I have got a tip from Youtube, it could be the inner temp sensor, I will try to change it and hope that it solves the problem, if not I try something else. I must fix it, I can't drive it in this damn heat. It's over 30' celsius every day, It's a hell of a heat for Sweden. 

Just to throw this out there but is your hot air/cold air diffuser door hooked up.  I had an older car where the sleeve came loose from the clamp so the door didn't move when I selected between hot and cold.  Same issue as your facing as it always blew hot even when selecting the cold air.

Alan

Also when the compressor is running, try to reach the inlet hose into the evaporator heater core area to see if the inlet line is cool.  it should become frosty just before the evaporator.

Edited by Henry

Just a thought, there is a wire that opens the flap to direct the air, it comes loof the pin it operates...did you check this also? Simple issue easy fix, maybe?

Lower right hand side open to everything so can be knocked off by feet or items thrown in passenger foot space..?

Edited by Willys

Do you mean the connection with two wires? I have looked and felt on it, it looks and feels fine, but is it there the inner temp sensor is? Do you know how to get inside and see how it looks like? 

4 hours ago, SmartSwede said:

Do you mean the connection with two wires? I have looked and felt on it, it looks and feels fine, but is it there the inner temp sensor is? Do you know how to get inside and see how it looks like? 

Sorry I don't think i have seen the inner temp sender yet as I don't use the A/C in my cars.....even at mid 30's temps, I prefer the windows down but also suffer if in traffic...lol.  Sorry, yes the wire/cable that adjusts the flaps are on the right hand side  and also possibly the left side, but I think it's one the right side....if memory serves me somewhat well...lol.  The wire simply has a loop at the end which pushes onto a pin on an arm that adjust the air. It gets pushed off easily if you aren't careful.

Edited by Willys