Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ValgardForkbeard

smart shifting

35 posts in this topic

The other night just for kicks I tried out the floor shift and I imediately noticed that the shifting seemed smoother! My passanger also commented on this. Has anyone else witnessed this? Try it for yourselves and tell me if I'm full of it or is there some different sequence involved here.

2seat

I actually found this to be the case, and most of the time start off using the floor shifter. I probably use the floor shifter more because of this, but I still use the paddles. I can achieve smooth shifting with the paddles too.

As for driving lightly - I totally agree that driving lightly will give a smoother ride, but when there is a big Dodge dually on your tail during rush hour, sometimes you just have to stomp on the accelerator.

Getrag makes poor manual gearboxes too; the 6 speed manual in the RWD Mercedes C-Classes are crap.

What specifically gives this box an "crap" rating?

Poor shift linkage, slow synchromesh, notchy + clunky changes and lousy clutch progressivity (the latter may not be Getrag's fault). German road tests of the C-Class with 6 speed manual call the gearbox "Hakkelig", which pretty much sums it up.

I thought that some of the re-maps decrease the shifting time. If that's the case, isn't it partly a software issue? A re-map isn't going to change any of the linkage mechanics.

In softip, I shift up and down without modifying the position of the accelerator pedal (regardless of whether I'm in a sport mode or economy mode of driving). The shifts are buttery smooth. If I recall correctly, this is what is recommended in the owner's manual. When I have a passenger who has never been in a smart before, I always mention when I shift up and down for the first time, because it's almost imperceptible. I use the tach and the gear indicator to illustrate that a gear change has occurred. In softtouch, I ease up on the pedal as the engine approaches the point at which a shift occurs. This results in an acceptably smooth shift. Too bad that people who write auto reviews can't be advised about these practices before they drive the car. If they were, their opinion of the shifting would probably be more favorable.

The new car's five speed transaxle is reportedly of the pre-selector type, meaning that the shifts should be a LOT faster, and way smoother.

Actually I kinda wish our cars had a 5 speed. The 6 speed is "exotic", but considering how slow the transmission shifts it would probably be faster if it didn't shift so often.

Would be interesting to know how they will do a 5 speed. Of course the transmission in our cars is really a 3 speed, with a two speed output, so in some ways a 5 speed is harder to do (roomwise I mean.)

Later!

Dang