Xandria

smart Car Sightings (post pictures or VIN if you have)

2,355 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, cheapohubby said:

Just curious; do we have any idea how many/rare 450s are that are still on the road? 

My 2005 Pulse is my winter-beater and at 218,xxx kms. on it, it still starts and runs quite well.   The '06 Cabrio is a warm weather car so I can make full use of the convertible top. :)

Smart (Bruised) under a tree.jpg

Silverwing.jpg

I'm impressed that the "winter beater" looks so good!  Have you been extra careful with maintenance (oil spray, or other preventatives)?  Any major work?  Before our winter beater got parked, the steering had some serious rattling.  So it was waiting on me to dive in and replace the column.  But the ocean air finished the job of the road salt, and now the tridion and floor is probably more rust than metal.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have two 450's........a rustyish winter beater, but has 200,000 plus kms on it now and runs great, then I also have/had a good summer 450 that i am totally restoring to make it like new, just so I have a Smart car 450 for the long run. It also had around 160,000 kms basically rust free. It now has 0 kms on it as everything wearable has been replaced, everything.!!   Yep, I know, crazy....lol

I also know of many 450's on the road around a 50 km range from my home.   Surprisingly.   IMHO, the best model, CDI that is.lol

Edited by Willys

My best guess is that here on Vancouver Island (home to fully 10% of 450 cdis) is that about half of them are either scrapped (like my first one) or off the road (like the Canada 1).  If this is correct and holds country-wide, that would leave around 5000 on the road.

They're well into the time when the third and fourth owners have them, buying them cheaply and they will run them into the ground, doing as little maintenance as possible.  The survivors long-term will most likely be the more expensive models - loaded cabriolets will probably end up being 50% more likely to survive than stripper pures.  

6 hours ago, cheapohubby said:

I'm impressed that the "winter beater" looks so good!  Have you been extra careful with maintenance (oil spray, or other preventatives)?  Any major work? 

Thanks.  All maintenance has been done by "Uncle Glenn" in London.  There has been no rust prevention sprays and no fuel additives, just normal diesel from whatever stations I happen to be near when fuel is needed.

An alternator (my fault for letting it sitting too long), a battery and a turbo.