Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abbyfireguy

Glow plug replacementi

7 posts in this topic

First post, I have recently become a new Smart Car owner.

The smallest diesel in the fleet. A 97 Dodge Ram cummins,a VW Golf TDI and now a 2005 Smart diesel.

Do all my own wrenching and modifications.

I have a glow plug light that stays on and a P0380 code.

Bought 3 new glow plugs(NGK ones).

The ohms on the new ones are all 1.2 . Is that in the normal range for new items?

Thanks for input.

There are some good threads about replacing these little buggers.

I will be very careful. Don't want any broken plugs!.,

Edited by abbyfireguy

I bought and installed the same plugs on my 05 diesel about two years ago. 1.2 sounds right. It was easier than I expected. Just need to be careful. New plugs makes cold starting effortless. I had one dead plug and a second plug that barely worked before glowplug light came on. I should have done this at the first sign of hard winter starting.

Soaked with penetrating oil for two days. Started up the car and ran it till operating temps were reached . Plugs came out slick, didn't look too bad. Only very light soot. New ones slipped in smooth . Light goes out shortly after starting and stays out.

Will try and reset the check engine light tomorrow when I get my OBD code reader back from my kid. Had dreams of snapping one off in the block. Thank goodness that didn't happen..

In my opinion removing them after bringing engine to operating temp is key. Good work! You don't need to cancel check engine light. It will go out on its own after a few starts.