Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DropDeadRed

Costs to take a Canadian 451 to the USA?

4 posts in this topic

My 450 was one of the first cars in the country, it began life as the "Tartan-smart"...I'm moving to Houston, TX for a two year stint starting next summer and trying to figgure out what to do car wise. Mostly I'm trying to sort out what to do with my 450. - I could sell it here and buy a 451 here to get the 4 year warranty and a car that is actually USA compliant (I hope???). - I could sell it here and risk not being able to buy a 451 there due to waiting lists and end up buying something else entirely :( I'd also be getting a car with a 2 year warranty :(How are waiting lists here? Will the dealers have stock on the lots initially?Will the warranty be honored going both ways? On a US car coming north and on a Canadian car going south?I wonder if the remainder of my 450's warranty would be honored at a US smart dealer?Cheers, DDR

Also check with your canadian insurance company. On paper, you may not be covered if they find out your canadian-licensed car has been out of Canada continuously for xx amount of time. I found out after an 18 month work stint in usa (happily only by discussion, not by claim...).

I'm not considering taking my 450 to the USA for 2 years... I'm considering trading it for a 451 and taking THAT which should be identical to an American one.Thanks, DDR