Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brd

Alignment: Mb Dealer Or Local Garage?

7 posts in this topic

Last time I had the smart in for an A service at MB I was told that next time it was in I should get an alignment done. Note that the smart is in its last calendar year of warranty.Here's the question: am I better off getting the alignment done at a) the local garage when I get the summer rims/tires put on. This is likely cheaper. OrB) the MB dealership. This will likely cost more but is it possible that the dealership may turn up something which has to be done that could be covered under warranty?

Edited by brd

Why did they recommend the alignment? Are you getting uneven tire wear? Any driveability issues? Most alignment shops don't have spec's for smart, you may just have to get it done at the dealer, unless the dealer doesn't have the equipment, then they will have a shop that they work with.There is only an adjustment for toe, for the most part.

More than likely, the service adviser is just recommending an add-on service the same as for any MB car in the shop. Probably doesn't know that they can only adjust toe-in and that if your tires aren't wearing, you don't need an alignment.

The alignment charge in their billing system is probably for Benz vehicles, where they can check all three axes of adjustment at a large price. Ask what their charge is, and ask if it would be the same for a C-class or whatever... if he says it will be the same, they just don't know enough about your car.

Regarding finding anything else, all they could find is suspension problems like ball joints, wheel bearings etc., which they are supposed to be checking at your ordinary A and B service intervals anyway.

Bil :sun:

More than likely, the service adviser is just recommending an add-on service the same as for any MB car in the shop. Probably doesn't know that they can only adjust toe-in and that if your tires aren't wearing, you don't need an alignment.

The alignment charge in their billing system is probably for Benz vehicles, where they can check all three axes of adjustment at a large price. Ask what their charge is, and ask if it would be the same for a C-class or whatever... if he says it will be the same, they just don't know enough about your car.

Regarding finding anything else, all they could find is suspension problems like ball joints, wheel bearings etc., which they are supposed to be checking at your ordinary A and B service intervals anyway.

Bil :sun:

Thanks for the input/info.

Last time I was in the dealership I didn't ask specifics re:need/cause for alignment but was told that there would be a charge of ~$250. I checked the service records & there is no mention of odd tire wear. However when the car was in last year, on the service invoice there is the following:

"alignment 4 Wheel Without Level Control - WND Work Not Carried Out"

So your suggestion that the alignment is a "standard" MB service add-on sounds reasonable.

Further to your comment about checking for suspension problems, last time it was in I asked to have a front end rattle checked & they did replace under warranty "Both front lower ball joints" as well as something called a "carier link".

You can bet the alignment was done after ball joints...Let it go. Your fine. They just wanna pad the bill, if possible.

My first set of tires were showing wear on the inside and I took it to a garage to have it alignedm The dealer couldn't even do it, they said they would simply send it out to a garage to have it done. Anyway I found the alignment specs on Evilution's website and took it to the garage with me. The guy in the garage told me that often when the cars are strapped on the boat, they are wrenched down very tight and it throws off the alignment. Anyway it never cost very much and worked great. By the way, there is no adjustment on the rear, at least none my guy could see.