Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smartspirit

engine block cable

4 posts in this topic

I looked down at the front connector that I believe is the engine block heater plug. Thought I just had to plug an extension cord. Is there an adaptor or an adaptor cable I need to buy? If so, where can I find one?Blessings,

Since you're in the USA, ask an electrical supply store if they can make up a wall plug with an male (?) amphenol connector for you.Mercedes in Canada wants silly money for the cable, like over $100. Maybe a club member has one for sale. I sold mine a year ago for $40.

Your 2005 will not have a block heater. That wire leads to a a plug that can be found in the battery compartment.Some people have hooked up 120v heaters to warm the interior of the car using that connection.Hooking up a ''smart'' block heater would be an expensive proposition.

Robert,

Before I sold Bugger (05 Pulse) to my cousin, I installed one of these, model 4.5:

http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml

I had the chord that attaches to the car's front. I wanted to use it, so I rigged the plug end that was just sitting in the battery compartment by pulling out of there through a rubber grommet that is on the LH side of the compartment. Once on the undercarriage, I plugged it to the wolverine pad heater, and shrink-tubed the connection, securing the chords with zip ties. The heater was installed following their instructions.

It took longer to prep the oil pan for the heater pad than the rest of the job.

Of course, since you dont have the chord, you can just install the pad heater and find a place to hang the chord.

HTH,

Serge