Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrTyore

Headlights for 2006 Smart car

6 posts in this topic

Hey all So I normally just get the dealer to replace lights when brought in for servicing, but both headlights died within a few days of each other. I'm wondering if there's a "you're stupid if you don't go here for installation and buying" them spot in KW for headlights. I've never replaced one myself, so if there's a place that will do it cheap, great. If it's easy to do yourself, maybe I can attempt it. So, Kitchener Ontario area, where do I go?Mark

Headlights are a very common H7, installation has a split personality.

If you have smallish arms, adept fingers and have done it before, it takes all of 2 minutes per side, no fuss, no muss.

If all the above factors aren't present, be sure no small children are around or you will teach them some new words!

Here is a longish thread on the matter.

The first time I changed a light, I took the nose off. It helped me do subsequent changes afterwards with the nose on because I had seen the parts up close when I took the nose off.There was one time I did it that I couldn't get the clip reseated correctly, though, so I had to take the nose off anyway. After a couple times taking the nose off, it takes 15, maybe 20 minutes start to finish. Without taking the nose off, it takes less than five (if everything goes well).

DrTyore - I had the same situation. I called the service department that does my regular services (Three Point Motors in Nanaimo) and asked if there was a time I could get the bulbs changed. They told me a non-busy time and then changed the bulbs for free. i.e no service charge - I just paid for the bulbs. Actually, the service manager did it as a break from his paperwork.