Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sponge

can you fit a dirt bike into a smart car

14 posts in this topic

i'm sticking stuff into my little smart again. this time i thought i'd answer the question, can you fit a motorcycle into a smart car. here are some pictures as a picture is worth a thousand words....post-346-1213819182_thumb.jpgso i'm sticking stuff into my car again. the real question was, can you stick a motorbike into a smart car and close the lid.post-346-1213819221_thumb.jpgand it appears you can.post-346-1213819251_thumb.jpgof course it just fits, and i had to remove the front wheel and handlebars, and the motorcycle has to be really small. :D:D:D

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's cool sponge,And I like the look of your little bike Duck.I crashed one of those once years ago when they first came out

Edited by Coast Steve

Posted (edited) · Report post

couple questions for rich and iain. how heavy are your pocket bikes? and one more for ian, how much weight can the rack support? my pit bike is in the area of 110lb's full of fuel and i'm looking for options to move it around. i've got a trailer in construction, but it seems to be a bit of a hassle to pull something so small around. but taking the front wheel and handlebars off is a bit of a pain in the butt too (that and there isn't much room left for my tool box helmet, and riding clothes after the bike is loaded). i'm currently contemplating a custom rack. :D:D:D

Edited by sponge

The bike is 20 kg. The rack is good for... crap, it says right on it, it's either 30 kg or 50. I can't remember. -Iain

HelloI managed to fit my road/triathlon bike inside my car last year.Was quite a show when I got to the event!!!MC :)

post-2700-1213961234_thumb.jpg

I am new and don't have a Smart Car YET... I was wondering if the sub frame can handle a tow hitch...for my own use. There is a slick bike/Motorcycle carrier that mounts on a trailer receiver. The Metal channel will support a big dirt bike> Can a decent hitch be installed on a S/C?

the smart fortwo car can handle a tow hitch. there are quite a few posts and topics on this issue. you can try the 'search' button located somewhere and see what comes up. les on the west end of the canada is the 'go to' guy.the motorcycle hitch carrier you speak of needs a minimum of a class 3 hitch with a 2" square receiver and can handle a tongue weight of three to four hundred pounds. i bought one of these hitches and was going to mount it on one of our other cars, but gave up and sold the hitch carrier and car. these carriers put a lot of stress on the rear suspension of a vehicle. if you want to move a full size bike with a smart car, you are going to have to put the bike on a trailer and tow it. :D:D:D

SCU makes a great "hidden" Hitch with a 1 1/2" Receiver....picture below....The Black knob on the Stainless Cube is an anti-rattle device I added but you can see how clean the install is. I tow a "Rascal" that weighs 430 lbs and even loaded with gear it tows fine. What you do not want is a ton of Hitch weight...mine is 40-50 lbs and your Motorcycle Rack added to the Receiver would be way too much Hitch weight....put the Bike on a small flat trailer, if at all. :) Regards DONNIEDARK

post-275-1214019604_thumb.jpg

post-275-1214019642_thumb.jpg

post-275-1214019681_thumb.jpg

That is very helpful..thanks. The hitch is a nice set up, I asume it mounts as san-o to the sub frame. I like your trailer set up and was thinking of a teardrop. They use to be called a chuckwagon. My suggestion was for a bike not a motorcycle. For a motorcycle the trailer in a bag is the hot set up. I am not sure what the tongue wieght max is but it is a nice set upThanks