Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

More E-vehicle Charging Stations In The Okanagan

9 posts in this topic

I think the demand right now is very close to nil, but investing in EV infrastructure will encourage people to buy and have confidence in these vehicles.

Electric vehicles are becoming more popular each year with more refined models coming off the assembly lines for consumers seeking low cost transportation as gasoline prices continue to rise.

What is not happening as quickly is the installation of charging stations in cities and neighborhoods for owners of electric cars.

Okanagan College is set to change that, and will be installing 10 charging stations between now and March 31 at its various campuses.

SOURCE: http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/89122...-boost-vehicles

Posted Image

Bil :sun:

No Volts or RAV4's, or LEAFs or Focus EV, or anything like that in BC? Or do you mean they are not available in the Okanagan? I don't follow the various sales stats like you do, Mike.

Bil :sun:

There are 300 electric cars in the entirety of British Columbia, Volts included.

The idea is that, if there was a reliable charging station infrastructure, more people would buy electric cars.I know first hand that this plan didn't work for residential LNG vehicles. There was a huge Gov't subsidy on conversions, and big money for gas stations to install filling stations. I had my Chevy Impala converted in the late 80s, and there were several gas stations in Kelowna where we could fill up. Not many years later, probably immediately after the initial contract term ended, they pulled out the LNG pumps as unprofitable, underutilized. Is this "green" plan also doomed to failure? :dunno:B :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

We like our Volt. I've now driven to Florida three times (about 5000 kms each time). It is a very nice drive and has been completely reliable. We have had one service and a tire rotation (about $100 all in). It cruises easily at 70 mph and returns just over 40 mpg. Our fuel consumption number (lifetime) is 4.1 litres/100 kms. To bad it is pricy to buy, but when compared to the other car we bought in 2005, a CTS, it is quite similar although much quieter and with superior fuel numbers.Plugging in is easily done and I've used 110v outlets and extension cords with no problem. People do not understand what they are missing by not buying this car.I'd love to see more charging points. We used them in Florida (usually located very close to doors btw). I can't see using a battery only car because we tend to drive long distances but if you plug in, it is great to see 240 mpg on the gauges after a day at the beach.

Edited by ianjay

Hi BilI converted a car (1972 Dodge Dart) to CNG. Put over 200,000 miles on it before I gave the car away. By the time I was getting rid of it they were closing down the CNG stations so did not transfer the kit to my new car.IanIf I was 30 years younger I would trade in my Yaris on a Prius C Plugin Hybrid when they come out. But only have 10-15 years driving left, so the Yaris and smart will last me and my wife the rest of our driving careers.Roy

Same here, Roy. Hoping may "wee smartie" will be my last car. Kelowna car share co-op is expanding and I also hope it will reach my neighbourhood soon, "just in case"!Bil :drive: