Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
warlekin

Hi! New Smart owner here.

11 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody!

Been about three weeks now that I jumped out of a love-hate relationship with an cantankerous '01 Sportage that I killed with the commute into a new love affair with a blue/silver 2013 Passion Coupe. I will miss those occasional trips into the bush, but I also know I'll get over it quickly the next time I'm at the pump.

Anyhow, just a quicky post for now... Off to figure out winter tires, a spare, and how to wire up a ham radio and antenna.

Thanks..
Warren

HI Marc here, just bought a 2006 SMART CDI with 82 000 kms. It seems to be running fine but is in need of an oil change. I see that Mobil 1 0-40 full Synthetic is the right type but I have read about some pump that people on here were talking about to change the oil. But when I watched a different video I see that there is a drain plug next to the oil filter (or close by it) is there a reason one is using this pump or is that only for the 2005 model?(please let me know why some are using this pump?)

Also my indicator Display light was turning back on once I hit the lock door button on my remote. I removed the Canada E-Box to check for moisture but it seemed fine and no corrosion thankfully?

My water separator light is on and so I'll make an appointment with MB to get that emptied or do I need a new one? (Have any of you encountered this problem what was the solution? I read about the Canada E box and so thought I'd at least check that out? One of the screws now needs replacing.

I already am having trouble finding winter tires these sizes and I also want to buy a Cruise Control unit for it but seems like a lot of work after only one day. (Anyone buy one of these and how easy are they to install?) If you know of a good place that sells our tire sizes that would be great. The Dealership here only had Continentals and were still $500+ Another place I did find the Blizzaks for $760) I can change the tires on my own if I can order them much cheaper online?

Sure hope I am not disappointed with this new little car. I've dreamed about having one since a friend of mine bought a passion the first year they were sold in Canada. He lives in Edm but seldom drives as he walks to work. Anyways I know I've put a lot out there but do hope I'll get many of the answers I'm seeking. Thanks in advance for your time and sharing of your knowledge.

padremarc

ex military chaplain. :)

Welcome, Marc.

So the fact that the water separator light is on and some other things related to the Canada-E Box circuit are acting up leads me to believe that there is some wiring corrosion or something else wrong in that area. I would bet there is nothing wrong with the fuel filter, but it is good to check. Maybe give the E-Box connections a spray of Molyslip Combat and have a really close look at the connectors.

If there is not a bolt in the sump (which there won't be unless a previous owner did that), the only way to get engine oil out is to suck it out. The stuff in the vicinity of the oil cooler and filter will not drain anything.

:welcome: to the club.

2005 and 2006 Canadian diesel smarts came with no drain plug, therefore, a vacuum pump was needed to change the oil. If yours has a drain plug, then it has been put in by one of the previous owners. Members are divided on the pluses on vacuuming the oil out as opposed to crawling under the car to drain it that way. Use whatever way suits your needs or capabilities.

Most of your questions can and will be answer here by people with lots of experience.

Hi Warren,

I'm a "newbie", too. Bought a 2006 Pure with 58,000 kms on it back in September. Only got it inspected and licensed last week! (Long story).

As for tires, I was wanting the same thing the other day and see that Canadian Tire has the Continental Winter Contacts for about $122 rear, $98 Front. Yeah, that'll come to about $500 with installation and balancing, but it is an option, at least. As this is a second car for me, I was going to hold off, but decided to check a discount tire place in Dartmouth, NS (other end of the country, I know, but you may find a similar store in your region). For the rear, they found a Champiro Winter GT for $86 and $12.50 for mount and balance. I checked your area (Abbotsford, BC) and found that Fountain Tire quotes $96 plus $20 for balancing and some other fees. So there's another option for you. As you probably know, you are looking for a 175/55 R15, unless your car has been modified with different rims.

Good luck with your "new" smart car! I'm really liking mine, now that is running, but I'm a bit nervous about the reliability. Time will tell.

Dan

Warren: Just realized I was replying to a post within this thread from Padremarc! The tire reference I provided may not be the same for you.

Plus my reply above may not have made complete sense to you!

Dan