Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Window tinting....$$$

57 posts in this topic

OK, I have decided I need tinting...lol.   So went to the best shop I know of nearby....$250....is this fair for our little cars? I haven't had windows tinted for decades...lol.  Just do not know?

Does anyone recommend anyone... in the toronto area...?  Hopefully north of toronto..lol

All but the front, legal limit on sides and one deeper on the back

I get migrains and the flashing you get when driving down a treed lane or road sets them off fast, plus to keep the heat down a bit hopefully.....but will possibly wait once again for the warmer weather to show it's head... They want 4 hours to do the job, which makes it difficult as I then have to find something to do for 4 hours when the shop isn't near anything interesting...lol...and I hate public transport...lol

I got limo tint on all windows on my blue smart except for the front.  The cost was about $250 eight years ago, so the price you were quoted sounds fair.  The current cost to have all windows on a smart tinted is $259 + tax.  It shouldn't take 4 hours to do the job properly.  I was in and out in about two hours.  They do like to keep the car for about 4 hours to allow the tint to properly dry, but they let me take it after 2 hours as long as I was just driving it home and wouldn't be using the defroster during that time.  This was done at Tint King on Wellington Road in London. 

And before anyone jumps on me about the legalities of limo tint on the side windows, yes, they DID notify me that it wasn't quite legal, but they would do it as long as I acknowledge that fact in writing.  Because the visors don't cover the side windows and I wear glasses, sun shining in from the side is a huge distraction and the limo tint does a fine job of filtering out the sun's rays.  It's also handy when driving at night when you have some nitwit behind you with those stupidly bright lights shining in your side mirrors.

Another plus is that what is IN my car is mine and no one else's business.  (Someone has to try pretty hard to see in).  If they can't see it, they usually don't get too interested in it.

It's a little more expensive, but I'd highly recommend getting the ceramic tint film. It dramatically cuts down on the amount of heat that builds up.

Thanks guys....I too hate the stupidly bright lights they have now a days and because of that want to get them also, if you want to blind me, take that....lol That is another wish list item Hids for the low beams, high beams they take too long to flash on when cool.

Like I said, any seriously bright flash of light can start the thrill of a migrain so all the help I can get without making it hard to see through is key!  I don't know what limo tinting would be like to see through at night in way of seeing pedestrians....not that I really care about them, but simply don't want the dents...lol

Daytime visibility through the limo tint (from the inside) is just fine.  A little caution at night and it works well too.  Seeing other cars at night is certainly no problem.   I have had no issues in 8 years of driving at night with them.  I even back into my dark garage at night using the mirrors and looking through the rolled up windows (you need to SEE my garage to appreciate this).  It's a two car garage with 3 cars, an e-bike and work benches on both sides, a compressor, snowblower and boxes of "stuff" down the middle. :lol:

1 person likes this

Once i get the car I will look at the windows and assess the difficulty. I have tinted windows before with product just from crappy tire. It is unfortunate they quoted you that much even though the windows are smaller. But that is the running cost around here for back windows.

Might be worth trying to do it yourself?

1 minute ago, BCsmart said:

But that is the running cost around here for back windows

The price I was quoted was for all the glass except the front window.

Can't complain about that then, I have only every tinted the driver and passenger doors once, where I live now I was fine, but within a month of moving down to Vancouver I was pulled over by cops  and fined, yes fined not even a warning.

I hate the glare from cars lights at night, cant do anything about oncoming traffic but vehicles behind you can. I will try to put tint on the mirrors also a very suddle 35/50% maybe

1 hour ago, BCsmart said:

I was pulled over by cops  and fined, yes fined not even a warning.

Was it near the end of the month?  .. The end-of-the-month quota is not a myth.  (a former neighbour was a Toronto cop and he confirmed it)

If I get pulled over, by the time the cop gets to my door, the window is down .. they can then see inside all they want.

Just got a quote from a guy locally, $180 for both sides and rear window.....my choice of tint shade anything i like. Going to watch him work tomorrow....lol....to see if the price is an indication of workmanship. But he's a fireman I think so it's a side job for him.  I think that's what someone told me! If this is the price and he's good, it's worth the drive maybe...lol.

Was a long time ago can't remember when I got pulled over.

$180 isn't too bad I suppose. To be honest the glass is such a small area it won't take too long to do. One thing I know though is you just never want to be that vehicle driving around with a bad tint job that bubbles and looks like crap!

Since I have the roll up cargo cover I am not in too big of a rush for tint but it might be something I do eventually.

First step is a remap, looking like Malone's as it is local and reasonably priced. I would go to Eddy but $400 is quite a bit more hard to justify the $150 difference plus the 650km or so round trip

Tinting for me is to stop the glare from the sun more than theft patrol.....plus I plan on making a wooden shelf for the trunl for my next Jack Russel to sit on when going for rides. The one we have now is slowly coming to his life expectancy.....a short one for the breed thanks to inbreeding from the breeder. They said bring him back we'll simply give you a new one after 6 months...sorry what happens to this one I ask?? It's not your problem....so I said you're going to cave it's head in with hammer aren't you....oh no we don't do that....horse shit! So he's had 11 more years than he would have had and $4,000 worth of surgery and his other hip is now done, so he's on heavy meds until they don't keep him painfree, then it's a trip to the big needle in the sky I'm afraid.   Then off to get another, from a better person I hope.

So that shelf will do two jobs, create a solid shelf for dog to ride away from our laps for once, and also a semi lockable trunk.

Very nice, I went to see what he's all about so to speak, seems like he knows  what he's talking about etc when tinting is concerned,,lol....so tuesday it's going in for 35/50  all in for 180 and he'll see about the sunroof also....but I doubt that could be done as it's got that pimply surface. not flat like glass.....so I'm not holding my breathe for that ....time will tell.

leadwing- I like that colour a ton, is that a stock colour?

Ya you can't tint over the "bubbly'' things, I have them on my removal top on my 4runner. 

So you choose 35% for sides and 50% tint on back window if I read that correctly?

Yep. I think I'll risk the darker tint just to help with the sun, We just came back from fish and chips, almost agony driving with the sun beeming into the driver's window....my old eyes just can't take it anymore!  I don't drive that much after dark for some reason anymore so when I do I'll simply take greater care.....hope this is the right choice.....I don't drive into the states either as they don't like me so it's simply Canada as to who likes what and I live in Ontario so that is the law I'll follow. I'm sure there is something to say that you have to follow your own province's laws not the one across the country when it really comes down to it. OR there would be a single law for all of Canada.....so out of towners much be allowed to get by seeing as we're just passing through.  imho.

Edited by Willys

8 hours ago, BCsmart said:

leadwing- I like that colour a ton, is that a stock colour?

Ya you can't tint over the "bubbly'' things, I have them on my removal top on my 4runner. 

So you choose 35% for sides and 50% tint on back window if I read that correctly?

BCsmart .. Thanks ...... It wasn't my first choice, but I have grown to like it and yes, the colour is all original.  The car is an '05 Pulse.  Black tridion and blue panels  (this is why it is named "bruised" .. 'cause it's black and blue :lol: The tint is what is normally referred to as "limo tint" and it is on all the windows except the front one.

1 person likes this

Nice, I guess most people have a nickname for their car eh! This paint code is red apparently to me its more like a wine type colour.

Willys- I have always gone 5% tint which is basically blackout. It is great for privacy but backing up in my 4runner it is crazy dark, but I can roll the window down if need be. 15-25% might be a good tint shade. I was thinking of grabbing some tint and maybe doing my windows sometime soon.

I got that back ass backwards...darker on the rear and the darest legal on the sides......yep it's the backing up in the dark and the frig'in walkers that scare me if tinted right out like leadwing. Otherwise I do the same.lol

I've also been watching youtube clips so am an expert now, so I could possibly do it myself, I have all the tools.....lol....and the virtual skills now also.   It certainly looks easier than when I did it in my 20's, I do not remember them saying much about fitting it to the outside with heat gun then installing it inside when I bought the crap from CTC way way back...lol....and yes, there were a few....ok maybe more than a few bubbles...and yes after 6 months it looked like shit!   That is what scares me from doing it with this car....lol...even though the glass is so small in comparisn.

6 hours ago, BCsmart said:

Nice, I guess most people have a nickname for their car eh! This paint code is red apparently to me its more like a wine type colour.

Willys- I have always gone 5% tint which is basically blackout. It is great for privacy but backing up in my 4runner it is crazy dark, but I can roll the window down if need be. 15-25% might be a good tint shade. I was thinking of grabbing some tint and maybe doing my windows sometime soon.

Not a nickname yet....but i like having a mascot.....for years it was a crochette mouse my very young daughter made for me many years ago, but that has aged too far now, so this is my new one just because he matches the car's colour schene...lol

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&q=K-9+space+dog+character&chips=q:k+9+space+dog+character,online_chips:looney+tunes&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGuonc7_XZAhVm9IMKHUFUAA8Q4lYILCgE&biw=1920&bih=959&dpr=1#imgrc=MB3gXpihYY4obM:

Looks far better in person...lol

Edited by Willys

2 hours ago, Willys said:

I got that back ass backwards...darker on the rear and the darest legal on the sides......yep it's the backing up in the dark and the frig'in walkers that scare me if tinted right out like leadwing. Otherwise I do the same.lol

That is what scares me from doing it with this car....lol...even though the glass is so small in comparisn.

Willys .. The windows were tinted on mine professionally 8 years ago, and to this day, there are no bubbles.  It might be worth the $$$ to have a pro do it just to ease your mind.  As for backing into dark areas, as BCsmart mentioned, there is always the option of rolling the windows down.

I'm going tuesday for the tinting so no worries there....for $180 cash I am not complaining.  I also may install a back up camera with recording capabilities same as a dash cam....I've already had a road rage woman create a scene which she didn't like the outcome of...lol. Yep I have a short fuse...lol   Just incase I get hit, is all and for backing into any space that I can't see well enou0gh for....those rear pillars are thick along with the seats. So we'll see price will dictate that for sure...lol.  FleaBay will or Amazon prices ...lol