Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Tinting back side corner windows..?

7 posts in this topic

OK, I have the car up on stands, washed cleaned etc etc, now have rear corner windows out and thinking of tinting them with VHT spray if I remember the name correctly. I have laid one coat on one window and it isn't settling down as it should. I have washed the window with acetone so it's clean from impurities. I expect someone will say to lightly sand them...but, if that doesn't solve issue I will be left with mared up windows? Yes sanding makes the most sense but, what if?    Am I missing anything? Yes shook my arm off making sure it's well mixed. Yes it's warm enough. They are perfect windows so this is why I'm asking..lol

Has anyone had success using this method? Yes I have watched plenty of youtube clips of people doing it, but they do not seem to get this first coat issue.

Plus getting these out was a serious challenge, so wondering how hard they will be to reinstall...lol

Sorry for such silly question but, just do not want a lousey finished product.

Yes, the brand name is VHT and the product is called Nite-shades.  For what it's worth, other than just cleaning the surface to be spray tinted with Windex and wiping it down with a lint-free cloth, I did no pre-spraying preparations.  It worked for me. :dunno: 

Thanks, that's what I expected to happen....so they're now clear still..lol.    

When the second parts car shows up then I'll see what is happening again....

Again thanks.

oh wow you took them out eh, would have never even thought of doing that. If/when I do mine I was just going to spray them from the inside while taping off the area around it. 

Do you have a picture of what your windows look like with the 1 coat?

No sorry no pics....I tend to always forget to take pics as I do things unless someone asks me directly for them.....lol....just too old I guess, ...lol.   They come out easy as there is a corner locking tab that is removable I later found out that if you remove that first the rest of the locking entire tab, or surround unclips far easier than trying to get it out without unlocking that simple corner...lol.  So do yourself a favor and take the windows out. Plus you'll find plenty of crap stuck behind then to clean up.  The finish was simply very bad fisheye type texture.....I don't have any anti fisheye  but thought acetone would have done the same job for what I was trying to paint...?   On the next set I'll lightly sand them with 1000 grit and see.

So you finished spray tinting them but still looked that way? How many coats did you end up doing? Can always spray the parts car windows and swap those into your car!!

I just applied one coat and got that finish which tells me the paint or tint isn't sitting on the surface correctly, so no use leaving it there. I wiped it off before it dried. It came off easily and now there is zero signs it was ever there.  I'll try on the parts car windows and sand them with 1000 grit to break the surface to allow the tint to cover them evenly to start with....