magicpants

2009 Smart Fortwo 451 door locking issue

6 posts in this topic

Thanks in advance for any help! My 2009 Smart Fortwo 451 isn't locking properly with the key fob. I've gone through every similar thread but couldn't find one that resolved my problem.

I have 2 key fobs and they both function identically. The key fobs will not lock either of the doors and the lights flash 3 times. The fobs will remotely unlock the driver door, but not the passenger door (i can hear a click in the passenger door when unlocking, but it doesn't sound like the unlock-then-lock issue others have had).

The interior lock/unlock buttons on the dash work properly for both doors. I have replaced the batteries in both key fobs, fixing none of these issues.

Any other tests I can try? Or any more info I can provide? Or anybody have any thoughts what could be causing this?

Thank you!

Edited by magicpants

Welcome to CsC.

When unlocking the doors the first push of the button unlocks the driver's door.  To unlock the passenger door the fob must be pressed a second time. 

When locking I have never experienced the 3 flashes if the doors did not in fact lock. 

Did you physically confirm the doors were still unlocked after getting the 3 cycles of flashing lights?

I would recommend reading the owner's manual for your car.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, obviously I physically confirmed the doors aren’t locked. And yes if i press the unlock button 100 times, the passenger door is still locked.

This problem has been going on for at least 6 months. I’m just now getting a chance to resolve it.

There is a fault in my system. The owners manual isn’t going to be useful, but I hoped someone here had experienced a similar issue and could advise. 

49 minutes ago, magicpants said:

Yes, obviously I physically confirmed the doors aren’t locked. And yes if i press the unlock button 100 times, the passenger door is still locked.

This was not stated in your first post, so it was not obvious in any way.

I have read most of the threads on this site.  I am nearly 100% certain you are the first with this issue to report it here.  I do not frequent smart Car of America anymore, there may be someone over there that has experienced a similar issue.  There are more 451 owners to be found there.

A STAR machine connected to the car may be able to diagnose the issue, you would be either looking at taking the car to M-B or a shop that deals with European cars.  I do not know if faulty fobs or a faulty fob receiver could cause your issues.

Hopefully you will be able to get this fixed and will report back.

Welcome to the site always good to see new people joining the club.
Along with this site have you tried SmartCar of America yet?  Or, Evilution and yes they ask for a small donation to get deep into their huge library of information but imho it's worth every penny if you have a problem you can't seem to resolve. 
Again welcome and I'm sure someone with some experience with this will chime in soon.  
I would suggest taking off the body panels that allow you to get at the large connector on the outside of the door pillar IF it is in the same place as the 450 model which I own  and check for corrosion. Also Try taking down your SAM(fuse box) and looking at the connections that are connected to the door locks etc, Knowing which connector is correct is where Evilution will pay for itself. Evilution.co.uk I think is the correct address for it. You could also take SAM down and out and open it up carefully to look at the pins on the circuit board for any cold solder joints, again something the 450 suffers from. Not sure if the 451 does also? Perhaps it's as simple as the lock connector in the door itself that has an issue? Maybe the best place to start your search? Take off the outer door skin and or inner panel also to see exactly the condition of the plug and connector?  Then work your way back to the SAM.

Good luck.....this thread is 5 years old so maybe best to either start a new thread or make sure this one stays active.

Again welcome and good luck.