dank1945

Hanging up between gears and three bars

5 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I need some help, 2006 Smart diesel semi automatic tranny. It's hanging up between gears, started when shifting up from 3rd, but now it's doing it even out of 1st gear. No engine light, engine revs up freely and then 3 bars appear. Stop, turn off engine and restart OK afterwards. It's happening pretty well every time when trying to shift up from 1st now. Checked shifting motor, cleaned connectors, checked wires, everything checks OK. Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Chafed wires to transmission actuators or sensor. Remedy:  Visually inspect wiring harness. Measure and test wiring using 12 volt battery and minium 21 watt test lamp. Google for pinout diagram. 

Clutch actuator on the blink. Remove, clean and lube but do not overlube as grease might contaminate motor brush gear. 

Corroded gear change drum angle sensor.  Has o-ring seal against transmission. Water corrodes aluminium allowing water ingress into sensor. Remove sensor. Inspect, clean and grease seal area. Test sensor with multimeter. 

Chafed wiring is very common. Repair by soldering in splice cable. Use hydrochloric acid solution (brick cleaner is what I use. Contains about 10% HCl) to make black oxidised copper turn bright like gold so solder will wet. Heat shrink sleeve containing glue is best for sealing splices. 

Hi again,

Well, here is the scoop. I have a spares' car tranny, so I decided to put it in. Suspected the gear shift motor or sensor acting up, but couldnt get at the screws without lowering the subframe, and the clutch actuating lever had a hole in it, so may as well swap the tranny and be done with it, with the added benefit of a 70k younger clutch and tranny in the spare.

I took my time, as this is my second car, and it was so warm all summer long, that I didnt feel much like working on it.

First of all I figured out how to interpret the list of connector pins from Tolsen, and made my own list, which was easier for me to read. Laying the harness out on top of the engine bay made it a lot easier to check. Found all wires in excellent shape, no fraying, chaffing, protecting the wires with split wire loom from Princess Auto previously did its job well.

I fixed the broken intercooler scoop as per Tolsen instructions, installed the freewheeling alternator pulley as also recommended by Tolsen.

Also ordered 2 reluctor rings from the UK, I thought may as well replace them as long as the axles are out. Bought two axle seals from BM, again just in case. Really dont want to take it apart again soon.

Put it all back together, and I have been driving it for 3 weeks and 1,500 kms without a single hickup, missed gear, or 3 bars. 

Oh

I would like to express my gratitude to Tolsen for the extraordinary support he provides to this forum day in and day out!!!!

Oh! I Just remembered: I didnt have to reteach the gears, although I had the clutch actuator out to grease it, and obviously a totally different complete tranny installed.

I hope writing this report does not jinx me!!!

Just thought you guys would like to know.

2 people like this

I had just changed the right tail light on my 05 cdi cabrio (it was burnt out) and started it up to move it.  Suddenly it has the three bars.  I went on eviloution and low and behold one of the causes can be a change in signal created by using a bulb other than the one that is ment to be used.  I will swap out the replacement with one I get from MB and report back.

Lonnie

Apperently light bulbs are a very odd item for mb to carry.  The closest one they had in the system was in Calgary.  I ran to crappy tire and got 2 of the last 40 they had on the shelf.  Swapped the bulb, pulled off the battery cable for 20 min, then fired it up and did a lap of the block.  Right as rain.

note to self, check to make sure it is the correct bulb being replaced.

Lonnie

1 person likes this