Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest RackAttack

New Roof Rack Fit for Smart Car

8 posts in this topic

Here at Rack Attack we've had a number of people asking about roof rack fits for the Smart Car. So I thought i would post this thrwead for people to see photos and discuss the rack we have been fitting to this vehicle. The rack is called a 'Control Tower' system from Yakima, it would ome with a lifetime warranty and we guarentee the install for as long as you have the vehicle. Including Labour and the rack it retails for $487.80 (mention this posting for a discount of 10%!). It is rated to hold 100lbs and can carry a variety of things from Bikes, ski's, small kayaks and cargo baskets etc. I have lots of good quality pics if you want them please email me. It will fit both the glass roof models and plastic/fibreglass roof tops. any questions please call the store or email.thanksGraemeStore ManagerRack Attack Vancouver604 872 7225

post-2780-1176482231.jpg

post-1-1176482231_thumb.jpg

It looks great, but smart says that the glass roof cannot take ANY load at all. I don't know about the pure's plastic roof.Another version that is posted somewhere on the CsC forums is also a Yakima rack system, but it clamps onto the tridion above the doors. If I were to use any type of roof rack that's what I would go with. For now I'll use the smart rack with my custom built gear rack.

Rack Attack,I love your rack carrier on top of the coupe instead of carrying a rack on the back which causes your items to be mounted above the car's roof line. Good job and please post more pixs with items mounted on your rack.Thanks,Regina

Hi,The rack that fits into the door jams would only be able hold short light loads and the bars would be very close together which would cause instability. For Ski's and Boards this would be an option but we designed this fit for longer heavier loads. The plastic roof is a very strong lid and can easily handle 100lbs.The rack to fit a glass rood top Smart Car would have to be mounted onto the steel shell above the doors not the glass. We use a mounting hardware called 'plusnuts' to install the fit without any need to work on the interior of the vehicle. hope that helps.thanksGraeme

Here is the thread on the clamp on Yakima rack that others have used.

Do you have pics of the rack attached to the class roof model?

Spot-on! I assume the rack itself detaches, leaving the little lumps that it clips into?So for a glass roof equipped car, you drill into the tridion to install the lumps?-Iain

Just be aware that putting a roof load onto a smart is not sanctioned in any way by smart gmbh.Also, drilling into the tridion is irresponsible and should be avoided at all costs.So few smarts have the plastic roof, that 80% of the smart car market is missed (assuming people don't follow the manufacturer's advice above regarding load, but don't want to perforate their tridion).My opinion, take it or leave it.

Hi Everyone,Sorry for the late response, I thought I would add some pictures of a good versatile fit for carrying longer loads. This is the most recent Glass roof Smart Car rack we have done, it is a combination of 2 types of Yakima rack. The front bar is clamped onto the door jam using a Yakima Q-Tower and the rear bar is mounted using Yakima's Landing Pad system. Having the rear bar mounted there allowed this customer to carry a lightweight Kayak by increasing the distance between the bars. The fit is strong and waterproof and we only needed to drill 4 x 1/4 inch size holes in the tridon. Mike T does have a point that drilling into this shell is not recommended by Smart but this is the same of all manufacturers on all types of steel or titainium shells. We understand this type of fit may not be for everyone, but the lady who owns this car was prepared to sell it if she couldn't go Kayaking! In Vancouver this attitude towards enjoying the outdoors is pretty common.thanksGraeme

post-2780-1178295560.jpg

post-1-1178295560.jpg