Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie Eddie Eddie

Apple integrates iPod/automotive functionality in Japan...

6 posts in this topic

Nothing there but some name-dropping. And you know many automakers won't allow allow do-it-yourself adaptations of their factory stereos (I'm looking at you, Mazda Protege/3) so that they can gouge the heck out of you for their own solutions. I think the Mercedes-Benz M-Class takes the cake, though, for outlay. The iPod integration is several hundred dollars, factory installed.

The smart fortwo with the intergrated ipod package, which is called the fortwo i-move edition, actually has the smart logo engraved on the back of the 20GB ipod.

post-80-1123173378.jpeg

For those who may be interested (and I haven't seen this posted anywhere else), I test-drove a Fortwo today, and the salesperson told me that an iPod setup could be installed for approximately $500 (no iPod included). But I've read that it's possible to buy a cable online (not sure if it's a customized cable or not), hook it up to the back of the smart's stereo, and bring the other end of the cable into the drawer underneathe it. Not a particularly elegant setup, but one HECK of a lot cheaper, and reasonably convenient.

That cable is an AUX IN cable so you can hook up anything such as an MD player or CD player. Instead of investing $500 to hook up an iPod to the stock deck (which is totally not worth it) I would go and spend that money on a new set of speakers for the rear, a new Pioneer deck, and the Pioneer iPod adaptor. Same price, more functionality, sounds better, and less intrusive.