Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smarter

"Black Book" trade in values *SPOILER*

10 posts in this topic

I noticed that smart now have an entries in the dealer "Black Books" to base trade in values on. (I'm able to access it via the Alberta Motor Association web page)The values for a 2005 Pure like mine run about $9100, and for a mythical Passion Cabrio, about $3000 more.(this for what a dealer would offer you as a value, for a trade, private sale is usually higher)I didn't say you'd like it. :tomatos:

Sounds great to me. I may have to buy another cdi in 8 months and I don't want to pay more than 10K.

Keep in mind, these are dealer trade in values... a lot of them will get turned over to auctions and end up on other used car lots, and after everyone factors in their markup, the actual selling price on the used market will be close to double those figures.

Darren said:

... the actual selling price on the used market will be close to double those figures.

This is true as I have allowed myself to be taken more than I care to remember on "trades". I was just to lazy to wait the selling process out. Double the amount of a trade on a sale yourself is not a myth.

Well, doubling $9100 results in a retail of $18,200, for a three year old pure, which sold for $16,500! Would they really have appreciated? I doubt it!

If fuel prices keep escalating, they could appreciate! Best lot-sold fuel economy car in Canada!

Well, doubling $9100 results in a retail of $18,200, for a three year old pure, which sold for $16,500! Would they really have appreciated? I doubt it!

Agreed! I paid $11,000 for an 05 Pure this summer, which seemed fair. It had quite a few options like glass roof, AC, Stereo, leather seats. Only downside was rather high mileage (over 50K). I've seen some nice loaded Smarts in the paper here in the mid-teens, e.g. cabriolets etc. Keep in mind that the eco-rebate on new Smarts has made used ones less attractive, unless they are priced significantly lower than new.

50 k is nothing!-Iain

Well, not really "nothing", though I know what you mean. The fact that I would have more km til the warranty expired (with a lower mileage car) is important to me.