Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

Adding Tach & Clock Pods

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've bought an 05 Passion that has everything I want except the tach/clock option, I can buy them at the dealer & the information I've found online seems to be clear enough.... but has anyone here done it themselves?One bit of info from a uk site states that if the tach lights up but doesn't otherwise work that the dealer has to "activate"it somehow, makes me think if that's the case I'd be better off having them do it from the start....any comments?

Edited by strawboss

To activate the tach you need to get a TAN code from the dealership. I don't think the clock needs anything special though. My guess is that you will almost definitely have to get the TAN code, which would be more money on top of the cost of the parts themselves.

Oh well....so much for the DIY sense of accomplishment, ;) if I'm going to have to make a special visit anyway to have them program my 450's brain, they may as well have the fun of installing it as well, & the 100 or so in labour costs ! :rolleyes:

A TAN code is not req'd to activate the clock. It takes the dealer less than 5 minutes to hook up to the OBD port, find the right program and then activate. Ask your service advisor what they would charge.If you are comfortable working on cars it is an easy install.

Just got off the phone w/service. they claim smart charges $150 for the code, & they (MB) charge another $50 on top of this (labour?). Plus taxes of course.....sure am glad I did the grunt work installing it or the would've hung my cheque on the wall like a moosehead......in for a penny in for a pound I guess! :lol:

That's BS! An apprentice tech was able to activate a tach for me in minutes. No TAN code.I also saw one activated by Leonard in Madison Georgia. He has a star diagnostic computer. No TAN code.

Okay....so where does that leave me? I tell them, what ? They're ripping me off?I guess I either need an apprentice tech or a star diagnostic computer.... ;)

I would ask to speak to the service manager. Calmly explain that the service advisers must have made a mistake and that you know that a TAN code is not req'd. In fact you should not be charged more than a 1/4 hour of tech time.Let us know how he responds.

A TAN code is not req'd to activate the clock.

I guess this is where I got lost, I realised it wasn't needed for the clock, but you made no mention of the tach so.....a tan might be needed?

Do you ever get to Toronto? I'm there every second week or so. I could bring my DAS and activate it when I am out there.Cheers! Dang

Do you ever get to Toronto? I'm there every second week or so. I could bring my DAS and activate it when I am out there.Cheers! Dang

No I don't, that's a shame! Thanks anyway

The clock is plug and play. The tach needs to be activated, but does not need a TAN code.

Just got off the phone w/service. they claim smart charges $150 for the code, & they (MB) charge another $50 on top of this (labour?). Plus taxes of course.....sure am glad I did the grunt work installing it or the would've hung my cheque on the wall like a moosehead......in for a penny in for a pound I guess! :lol:

Just to clarify, the service advisor said he was emailing Smart to see if a Tan code was required & if they said yes THEN it would be $150.00....they haven't called back yet, I suppose they're still waiting for an answer from Smart.... :rolleyes:

Finally , the Tach is working! $25.00 plus tax, while I was there got some wheel covers....I'm too cheap to spring for aluminum rims!

Sort of cringing now thinking how many times I'd probably redlined it without realizing..... :rolleyes:

That's BS! An apprentice tech was able to activate a tach for me in minutes. No TAN code.I also saw one activated by Leonard in Madison Georgia. He has a star diagnostic computer. No TAN code.

How can I meet this person!! :) I live near Madison, Georgia and need to get a tach activated in one of my other grey-market 450s. :)

Smart142 is on a road trip right now with his daughter and may not see all of the posts. You may want to send him a PM and see if he can tell you more info.

How can I meet this person!! :) I live near Madison, Georgia and need to get a tach activated in one of my other grey-market 450s. :)

Right Artz! Just got on line in Winnepeg.Contact this member. He lives in Tennessee.Good luck!