Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
micromachine

Brake lights stay on when car is turned off

7 posts in this topic

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here. Been busy dealing with all kinds of other stuff non-smart car.So tonight when I was driving home from work I had a strange thing happen. I was driving along and needed to downshift. When I did the ABS and ESP warning lights came on. I did not even touch the brake pedal. I found the whole thing strange, pulled off the road immediately and turned the car off, then back on. When I did the warning lights were gone so I continued to drive the last 2 miles home. About a mile down the road I had to downshif again and the second I did the same warning lights came back on. I was so close to my house I just drove straight there.Once I got in the garage I put the OBD reader on the car but there were no fault codes. Turned the car back on and the warning lights were gone however I noticed that all three brake lights were illuminated with the car off and the key out of the ignition. Very strange.Jumped on all the UK forums but could find nothing that related to these warning lights and the brake lights staying on. I checked the brake fluid level as just two weeks ago I had the brake fluid replaced. It was in the normal range. Checked all the fuses and they were all good. Anyone heard of anything like this? I have sent an email off to evilution but it's only 5am there so dont expect to hear anything for a while. I kind of need to get this straightened out ASAP as this is now my only car and I can't drive it around with the brake lights on all the time and disconnect the battery everytime I park :)thanksTodd

micromachine...Some smarts did have problems with the brake light switch. There is a recall on it. I suspect that might be what's affecting you. Somewhere on the site I think someone posted the TSB for it. I know I had to get it done on my car, and it also triggered the ABS/ESP lights.Good Luck! Dang

Without a Star diagnostic. The brake light switch will be a logical guess. From your description it could also be the transmission speed motor, or wheel speed sensors. Maybe even the steering angle sensor. But not likely. This is all part of a integrated system.

Well, I could hope that it is just the brake light switch. I replaced it once over a year ago but at that time it was the usual no brake lights and gear selection issue. I hope it's not the steering angle sensor since I just put the paddle shift steering wheel in last year as well!Eddy, if I had a passport or other form of id that would let me into Canada I would have this thing in your shop in no time. Darn rule changes! I suspect I will have to take it to Green Car to put it on their Star Diagnostic. Whatever it comes up to be I imagine you will be hearing from me soon to order some parts :) And of course, I'm gonna have to get that passport soon as I still have an airbag I need you to replace.Todd

It isn't getting into Canada that is the issue - it is getting back into the US :lol: Hopefully it is the brake switch and a shot of cleaner will help it out.Cheers,Cameron

Problem solved. It was that pesky brake light switch. This is the second one I have replaced now in the last 2 years. At least it's an easy fix.

At least it was relatively minor thing.How much did the switch cost? Do you have a part number that you could post here for future reference?