Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Cost Of A Glass Roof (replacement)

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Parts guy is closed... figured I'd probably get a good answer here quicker :)Anyone know aproximate cost of the glass roof? A customer in the states smashed his and he asked me what it might cost. It isn't a part I deal with but I said I'd get him the info.Steve

Edited by SmartieParts

//A customer in the states smashed his and he asked me what it might cost. It isn't a part I deal with but I said I'd get him the info.Steve

An embarrassing back story to go with this, Steven? I mean, if one has to go out of the country for info... :P

The glass roof applies to the previous-generation (450) smart, which was never officially sold in the US. The new generation (451) has a Makrolon (transparent plastic) roof. So the person who contacted Steven probably has a black-market 450, which isn't supported in the US.-Iain

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depends on who you know... in the US. Ron Gaus for one.Not that Steven isn't a good go-to guy.Cheers.

Edited by smart fortimo

Hi Steve,Can't find the post but seem to recall someone doing a swap of a 450 plastic roof for a glass one - something like $700 all in parts and labour.Cheers,Cameron

Thanks Cameron.Duck.. you're right on.Fortimo... if you know of someone in the US that can get this guy a 450 glass roof, I'll be more than happy to pass on contact info. I really would rather not get involved in OEM parts. - Steven

Steven, where does he live?

Places I'd try:

Ron Gaus in St. Louis handles grey-market and is probably a good resource (asmartcar.com)

Green Car Co in Bellevue WA sells and services G&K.

Check with Idahosmart and the Boise ID crowd.

Smart Madness in LA is trying to serve the 450 community-- might try there.

Check with other US 450 owners in the smartcarofamerica.com thread- Original smart fortwo (450) http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f26/

Heck these days, I'd even try the 451 dealers to see if they can connect-- they are getting hungry and I know Portland is going out their way to become a 450 source for maintenance but I don't know that that extends to non-routine mtc.

Hope this helps.

Fast Eddy can probably source and ship too if they get stuck.Three Point was doing some sales to the States but I think they got a bit of a wrist slap from the mothership.Cheers,Cameron

I'd also check with this wrecker --- they have smarts and a glass roof just might have survived a catastrophic collision.

Thanks all. The customer, it turns out, is a hop skip and jump from Windsor. So he's going to just go there (on a nice day I guess?)