Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Graham

Ontario Owners - Changes to DriveClean proposed!

12 posts in this topic

The Ontario government has proposed changes to the DriveClean program. On the face of it, they are exempting cars 0-7 years old and Antique cars. But, in the past, cars 0-5 years old and any car built before 1988 was exempt.

I don't know if this is just an error or deliberately misleading, but it looks to me like owners of pre 1988 cars are going to require testing IF this gets through.

This site allows you to comment:

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/...amp;language=en

Closing the small loop-hole from model year 1981 to 1988 doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

In 'most' cases, any car that is still good enough to be on the road after 20+ years of service generally means that the owner has taken care of it and the cars' needs for service and repair have been met.

In my view, e-testing older cars that fit into this catagory is a money grab. Obviously, there are 'junkers' out there, but the blue or black smoke coming from what's left of the tail-pipe should be a solid indicator that this vehicle needs to be tested. The ticket-happy boys in blue could even make up some of their brownie points by catching those violators and issuing a ticket, which could be cancelled if the vehicle actually passes an e-test.

The drive clean for a diesel smart is a tax grab as diesels don't have to produce numbers to pass the Ontario test. You get to pay the same fee as a gasoline powered car, but it is just a matter of the garage filling out the form with the serial number.I was hoping that my "new" used 1989 Fleetwood would soon be exempt, but now that they have fixed the exemption years, I am out of luck. Apart from having to pay this extra tax, it is not a problem, because the car is completely stock and in proper running condition.My 1990 Ranger with over 380,000 kms also passes the test with flying colours, so again, it is just money in someone else's pocket.Seems like making a change for the sake of change. Now, if they really wanted to clean the air, they should be taxing vehicles based on the what is coming out the tail pipe.

Closing the small loop-hole from model year 1981 to 1988 doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

The loophole, is that a 7 year old V-8 SUV that does 9mpg and is driven 30k km/yr does not require testing, while an early 80's classic car that gets driven 4k km/yr does. Once a smart cdi is over 7 years old, it too will require testing and anyone who has seen this done knows it is a farce.Unless they grandfather pre 88 cars that are already exempt, only those pre '88 cars with Historic plates will be exempt. Those cars cannot be driven except under certain circumstances. "A historic vehicle is defined in Regulation 628 under the HighwayTraffic Act. It is a specially-plated motor vehicle "at least 30years old" that is "operated on a highway only in parades, forpurposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by aproperly constituted automobile club, or for purposes of repair,testing or demonstration for sale" and is "substantially unchangedor unmodified from the original manufacturer's product".I have sent in my comments (using the button in the above link) suggesting that they either abandon the whole program or at least grandfather the pre88 cars which they previous told us were no longer part of the program. Edited by Graham

Once a smart cdi is over 7 years old, it too will require testing and anyone who has seen this done knows it is a farce.

Both of my smarts (an '05 and an '06) are less than 7 years old (obviously) and both already require an e-test every 2 years when applying for new plate stickers. :huh:

Am I being ripped off or is this ligitimate? When the paperwork for sticker renewal arrives, there is an asterisk next to the vehicles needing the e-test. Last summer, I needed to have the test done on the '05.

The changes to Drive Clean posted above will not be taking effect until September of this year. Until then the rules currently in place still apply.

I was extremely unimpressed to discover that my Smart, purchased new in June 2010, had to pass an Ontario e-test, as did my husband's new Toyota Yaris. This is nothing but a money grab. I am in favour of emissions testing, but to test 2 autos, both with less than 10,000 km on them, is just a waste of everyone's time. If someone can come up with a compelling reason why new vehicles from other provinces are inherently more polluting, I'd love to hear it :D

I was extremely unimpressed to discover that my Smart, purchased new in June 2010, had to pass an Ontario e-test, as did my husband's new Toyota Yaris. This is nothing but a money grab. I am in favour of emissions testing, but to test 2 autos, both with less than 10,000 km on them, is just a waste of everyone's time. If someone can come up with a compelling reason why new vehicles from other provinces are inherently more polluting, I'd love to hear it :D

Hmm - Something wrong there. Under the existing rules, cars that are under 5 years old don't require testing and in future that will be extended to cars less than 7 years old. However, if the car is being sold, then it will require a test under present rules.You can check if you need a test here: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/ca...D_075674.html#2 . If this site says you don't need a test and your license renewal says you do, then I would give Driveclean a call.

Thanks, Graham. Wish I would've checked here first:) Star Motors (MB dealership in Ottawa) told me I had to have the test. Perhaps they should change the name to $tar Motor$! :angry:

I had a reply from Driveclean saying that pre1988 cars will still be exempt when renewing license or transferring ownership when new rules come into effect. But then why have they added cars with Antique plates? Surely they were built before 1988?? I guess we will find out.

Am I being ripped off or is this ligitimate?

Oh yeah, you're being ripped off.The whole process is a scam, the private company that runs DriveClean insisted on testing everything they could so they could maximize profits.When I transferred my 2 year old smart to Ontario I was required to have it tested.I spent a great deal of time on the phone with the rep from DriveClean and she insisted it was to ensure that the vehicle had not been modified before coming to Ontario. When I asked how that would be any different than a smart bought in Ontario the same day as mine was bought, and it not needing to be tested for another 3 years, even though it could be modified, she couldn't answer so she tried, "we can't tell if the vehicle might have been in commercial service". When I told her that this too was incorrect as the provinces share that info, as you quickly find out as they enter the VIN info into the computer, she then just said, it's because we want it done, end of.THEN you go for the "test"...seriously, "a visual inspection to ensure the parts have not been altered" because the system can't even measure diesel.Like anyone outside of a MB shop would know if anything had been altered.Absolute Poppycock and a tax/profits grab by the ON govt, and the DriveClean Contractor.