Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marchanna

New personal best!

12 posts in this topic

Today a drove 168kms - from Southeast Kitchener to a few kms North of Mitchell and back. No opportunity charging along the way, no shut down. New personal best for actual kms driven on a single charge.

11728922_10152862663647191_3820996033147

2 people like this

If you do the math you will see how inaccurate the kWh/100km gage actually is:

Based on 17.6kWh consumption (100-0 SOC per the gage) that equates to 10.47kWh/100km = 12.7% error

Based on 16.27kWh consumption (Fleetcarma data read directly from the ECU/SAM) that equates to 9.68kWh/100km = 21.9% error

. . . and one last thing. I drove for 8kms on 0% SOC, and Fleetcarma tells me I still had 2.3% left = 0.4kWh based on 17.6 nominal capacity. That means I actually had another 3+ kms in tank so to speak.

Glad to know there is extra capacity. I have only once been below 20 %.

It would be hard to carry kwh in a jerry can.

That's an impressive trip!

We had a fairly good run last Saturday: an 82km round trip with a few stops to get downtown Toronto and then back home to Richmond Hill. I did manage to plug in for about 45 minutes of L1 charging at TIFF Bell Lightbox (their L2 Chargepoint unit was out of order). After adding about 7km of range we got home with 47% SOC remaining. Not as efficient as your ride (there were 2 of us in the car), but I was still pretty happy.

I took an extra lap around the round about by my house in order to get it to roll over 168. My next goal is get 180km on a single charge. I think I could have done it this time, but on the trip back, I had a substantial headwind, if you look at the numbers in the chart, I drove a shorter distance back (different route), but actually consumed more energy.

There were also a couple of spots in the journey I could have avoided accelerating as hard as I did, but I really started feeling the pressure from other drivers to drive faster.

1 person likes this

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be the kind of hypermiler that pisses off every other driver on the road.

I'd love to have that fleet carma data, I applied as a tester, but they picked some better candidates (like you!)... ;-)

Truly impressed by your ability to get the most out of the Smart ED, it goes to show what is possible. I've really put a lot of faith in the SOC estimates on both my EV's, and taken both down to sub 5% SOC in the past month. The more trips you do, the more you are able to self judge, and also know how to translate the estimates on the dashboard and other indicators into actionable information that allows a driver to get the most range.

Keep pushing Marc, we're right behind you (about 30000 km behind, but) every little bit helps right?!) :icon_smile:

Edited by SmartElectric

I'd love to have that fleet carma data, I applied as a tester, but they picked some better candidates (like you!)... ;-)

Truly impressed by your ability to get the most out of the Smart ED, it goes to show what is possible. I've really put a lot of faith in the SOC estimates on both my EV's, and taken both down to sub 5% SOC in the past month. The more trips you do, the more you are able to self judge, and also know how to translate the estimates on the dashboard and other indicators into actionable information that allows a driver to get the most range.

Keep pushing Marc, we're right behind you (about 30000 km behind, but) every little bit helps right?!) :icon_smile:

Im in Waterloo region, so I was eligible for the drive4data program. I believe anyone with a Waterloo region address can still sign up.