Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzz271432

3-Bars - Something New

13 posts in this topic

Hi Peeps

It has been a while since I have been on here... I had a very successful run :ph34r: but... all good things must come to an end.

So... my latest 2005 Cabrio has been a dream (ever since I blew the turbo on my previous 05 Cabrio) since Sep 2019 (yes, that long). Now the infamous 3 bars!! I have experience as it is the 3rd vehicle where I have had this problem and I successfully fixed my 2 previous cars with the simple/easy process of installing a Cap/Acorn Nut on the clutch Rod, re- install Actuator and "Bob's Your uncle"... and then a re-teach.

All went well... removed Actuator, replaced Rod, re-installed and drove for > 100 KM and then... 3-Bars came back the next time I started the car. Removed Actuator - checked for wire chaffing (none) - re-installed... cycled it several times on Accessories... everything seemed fine. Started her up and a lot of noise as the Actuator is trying to put her in gear but it will not engage. I have repeated these steps 3 times and the same final result..she will not engage in any gear WHEN engine is running, but will cycle when on Accessories. I even replaced the Actuator with the Spare I had from an earlier Smart (I keep them for Spare parts B)) with no luck!

I really like this 05 Cabrio - fully loaded:  heated Leather Seats, A/C (well... you all know those problems); nice mags... etc... I would hate to put her down.

Looking for a new angle to tackle this problem before I give up and take her to the Shop or... worse!

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Bob

Have you checked the wiring going to the gear select motor for chaffing..?  Where it crosses the inter cooler scoop...?  Done the usual check for the green fuzzies at all and any plug ins and grounding pins? Checked the main ground cable from engine to body for poor quality?

Possible conductivity issues in wiring at the connection pints, as in crimped too tight to break connection where it looks perfectly fine? Yep seen this....too.

Thanks Willys!

I "looked" at the wiring and it "appears" to be ok but... I am worse at electronics than I am at mechanics  :lol:.

I will give her one more look and... I see Troy Wilson in my future...

Cheers!

Bob

I also hate electronics that is why I made up a STAR system in hopes it would help me conquer the white smoke demons..lol.
Do you have a scan tool to see if there is any codes showing? If you find codes at least then possibly a starting point?

I cleared the code after the initial 3 bars appeared... no code since. I would stop the car before the 3 bars re-appeared. I will start her tomorrow and let her enter 3 bar to read the code. Not a STAR but the Delphi.

Cheers!

Bob

Just now, buzz271432 said:

I cleared the code after the initial 3 bars appeared... no code since. I would stop the car before the 3 bars re-appeared. I will start her tomorrow and let her enter 3 bar to read the code. Not a STAR but the Delphi.

Cheers!

Bob

That's OK but when you get a code maybe it can be figured out....fingers crossed.

Hmmmm Leadwing!

Didn't know about that and... I recently had both the ABS and EMS light up randomly and would go away when I restarted... I'm assuming Rear? Or should I check all 4?

Thanks!

Bob

It's just the rears that swell and crack due to rust build up under them.  They are a semi cheap fix also if you can swing a wrench or two.

1 person likes this

As Willys mentioned, it's usually just the rears.  It doesn't take much of a crack.  Just a hair-line crack could cause issues.

i can't see a cracked ring causing 3 bars though.  one of my cars had about a 1inch piece of ring missing and it drove  (just would not shift out of first and the speedo was messed up).   another one of my cars had a crack in a ring and it just triggered the ABS and traction control lights.     never had 3 bars issue.

8 hours ago, Sydney said:

i can't see a cracked ring causing 3 bars though.  one of my cars had about a 1inch piece of ring missing and it drove  (just would not shift out of first and the speedo was messed up).   another one of my cars had a crack in a ring and it just triggered the ABS and traction control lights.     never had 3 bars issue.

with these cars anything is possible

2 people like this

7 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

with these cars anything is possible

LOL....