Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheMachine

Smart Fortwo fuel pump

8 posts in this topic

Trying to find where I can buy a fuel pump for my 2006 diesel since they discontinued it for the manufacturer 

Edited by TheMachine

I don’t have either but are you looking for the high pressure pump or the transfer pump that is inside the fuel tank?  If you are talking the in tank pump are you sure you need a pump?  The common problem there is usually a bad connection at the SAM.   Start reading here to understand the issue and there are many more threads on this as well. 

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/25663-sam-woes-and-how-to-cure-them/#comment-299934

1 person likes this

I agree with Nigel, Take down your SAM/fuse box under left side dash.....then open it carefully, it's easy really, check all rows of solder joints for cold solder joints which basically are over heated pins which will show a hair line crack around the actual pin in the solder that holds it in the board. You may require a magnifying lense if eyes aren't as young as they once were...lol...like mine.
Then simply de-solder the pin and re-solder it.  IF it is badly burnt then more work may be required but normally there are simply cracks around the pins. Check out other threads for the pictures that show the exact line of pins that normally go bad. Also check connections from all pin circuits. Wiring etc all has been a problem after the circuits gets over heated. There are also ways to strengthen these circuits using relays etc and should be done even if your car shows no sign of bad pins as it's just a matter of time imho.  To each their own.
Again as Nigel says there are many many threads regarding this topic.....happy researching....ask if you get stuck, glad to help if I can.    

As for getting pumps that is easy if you can wait for shipping if you go international suppliers for possibly the cheapest cost wise or pay more for faster service...that is your choice. BUT, check SAM and all connections relating to pump first. ALSO, check all grounding pins for these circuits as they are as bad  for being the problem from the start.  So  many issues are simply a bad grounding pin. Open every pin up and clean each eyelet for rust between the separate eyelets and the pin itself.   Again enjoy....

Also you need to determin which pump is faulty, high or low pressure pump.  The high pressure pump is easily rebuildable with a full seal kit but it may also need new internals as I have seen a few with bad head valve pieces etc, which are all available and reasonably priced for what they are. I forget the cost of the seal kits but the head valves I think were like $30 each...?  So again figure out which pump it is and go from there. Also figure out if it is actually the pumps or the wiring.

Edited by Willys
1 person likes this

if by chance it does end up being the fuel pump....just install a universal one into the existing module

it looks like a Walbro GSS342 would be just fine

2 people like this

I have a complete tank, fuel pump. filler tube, fuel cap in great shape.  HOWEVER, it is to be sold as a complete unit only. I will not part it out.  $575 firm. 

For Sale - smart 450 bits 05.jpg

For Sale - smart 450 bits 06a.jpg

I just threw out my spare tank...lol....if i knew it was worth that much I'm have kept it....good thing I kept the pump....lol  Damn!

On 05.11.2022 at 15:03, Willys said:

Tocmai mi-am aruncat rezervorul de rezervă...lol....dacă am știut că merită atât de mult l-am păstrat....bine că am păstrat pompa....lol La naiba!

Here, in Romania, with that money ($575 US) you can buy almost the entire Smart (of course only for spare parts) ... however, everyone puts whatever price they want on what they have.
Willys, now if you threw the tank ready! don't buy Smart complete with spare anymore :))

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2022-11-04 at 5:06 PM, LooseLugNuts said:

if by chance it does end up being the fuel pump....just install a universal one into the existing module

it looks like a Walbro GSS342 would be just fine

Has anyone tried this universal one successfully? 

Edited by Zomar