Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Toyota Yaris

8 posts in this topic

Toyota will begin selling Yarii that are made in France next (model) year in North America. Japanese production is too expensive for these cheap cars.

Uh... that's "Yarisusses." Just like breastesses.

On the Yaris site it is "one Yaris, two Yari". The Yaris plant in Japan was damaged by the Tsunami? last year so that might have something to do with it too. I hear that they build some good cars in France.Roy

The reason Automotive News gave is that the Japanese production plants are too expensive for cheap cars to turn a profit.This is deliciously ironic because the French manufacturers are convinced (and their lack of profitability confirms) that they cannot make similar cars profitably in France!

During my vacation in France earlier in June, I was aboard my godmother's Yaris D4D: I particularly appreciated the digital speedometer, the 6-speed manual gearbox and...the Diesel engine. I do miss that 6th gear when driving my own Yaris on Canadian highways. This is where I definitely prefer my smart car B)

No one can make money long term on cheap cars... by the time the profit starts, it's time to re-design....

I rented a Yaris in upstate New York and quite liked it for what it is. I found it didn't turn though. I recall that in a friends PT Cruiser. The thing would not turn. I had to three point park it at Walmart one time or hit the next car. I'd never seen that with any other car until the Yaris. We drove from Schenectady to Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame and back and used next to no fuel.I'll consider the iQ over the Yaris though but would also look at the Fiat 500c.

The Vitz is made by Toyota. Check it out here.

According to the site (linked above) the Vitz is also known as a Toyota Yaris, Toyota Echo and Xiali Vizi.