Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JKM5366

Abs & Caution Light

15 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 Smart Diesel.The last few days the orange ABS Light and orange Caution (Triangle with an exclamation point) Light has been randomly coming on and going off.I would love peoples opinions as what this is. Is it something serious that I should take to the Dealership sooner than later or is it something that I can possibly fix??Also, on a bit of a different note. There has been a weird, continuous clicking noise in the front dash. Not sure if you're familiar with this is or if it's just my car - you know when you have the wiper blades on and they make a funny ticking noise when the blades go up and back down? Well it's a tick like that, like my wipers are on or something else is. I hear it every few seconds - this just started about a month ago .....Thanks! Looking forward to some help.

Edited by JKM5366

I have a 2006 Smart Diesel.The last few days the orange ABS Light and orange Caution (Triangle with an exclamation point) Light has been randomly coming on and going off.I would love peoples opinions as what this is. Is it something serious that I should take to the Dealership sooner than later or is it something that I can possibly fix??Also, on a bit of a different note. There has been a weird, continuous clicking noise in the front dash. Not sure if you're familiar with this is or if it's just my car - you know when you have the wiper blades on and they make a funny ticking noise when the blades go up and back down? Well it's a tick like that, like my wipers are on or something else is. I hear it every few seconds - this just started about a month ago .....Thanks! Looking forward to some help.

I can't help you with the ABS lights. But, I had that ticking for about a month and then it went away. It was coming from the fuse box up under the drivers side dash. It was very regular and sounded like a relay going off and on. It cycled every 8 to 10 seconds. I wasn't able to determine exactly what it was before it stopped doing it.Then, with all the rain we have had recently in Southern Ontario, I was using the intermittent wipers a lot and there it was, again! Every 8 to 10 seconds the wipers would wipe and the relay for that is in the same spot.So, I guess even though the switch was off, the relay for the intermittents was cycling. Weird!! But, it did go away by itself.

Where are you located? The clicking is probably a relay, the lights are related to Traction/Stability Control and the ABS. Some kind of electrical gremlin is going on. I would try to get more info here before going to the dealer, it might be easy like reluctor rings. I'd be interested to know if you have a loose brake light switch, the clicking could be the brake light relay...maybe have someone drive behind you and see if your brake lights flicker on and off when you're not touching the brake pedal.Location is key, a member nearby might be able to help.

Hmmmm .... Those are some simple solutions that can be easily looked at. I will give them a whirl. ThanksI am in Peterborough, Ontario

Where are you located? The clicking is probably a relay, the lights are related to Traction/Stability Control and the ABS. Some kind of electrical gremlin is going on. I would try to get more info here before going to the dealer, it might be easy like reluctor rings. I'd be interested to know if you have a loose brake light switch, the clicking could be the brake light relay...maybe have someone drive behind you and see if your brake lights flicker on and off when you're not touching the brake pedal.Location is key, a member nearby might be able to help.

Apparently one of my brake lights is out .... ????

:welcome: to the club. If one of your brake lights is out, then when you use your turn signals on that side, they should flash more rapidly.

:welcome: to the club. If one of your brake lights is out, then when you use your turn signals on that side, they should flash more rapidly.

You are right! LOL I just thought I had a turn signal out since that has been the norm for the past year - it feels like one bulb or another is flashing rapidly every month!I imagine that has nothing to do with the ABS lights though :-(

Bessy has it right. The combo ABS/Traction means both systems are disabled. Way back in the first years with the cars the switch was corroding up very quickly. A lot of us had two or three of them before they re-engineered it a bit. They still do fail though. During the early failure period the switch can vibrate back to life but the warning lights will not go off until the next key off/on. That makes the 'check to see if the brake lights are on' a little hard to catch with the switch failed. If you key off, restart, come up to speed then stop the warning lights should come on. That's the best time to catch the lights out in the rear. I'm thinking that the clicking you are hearing might be the switch going in and out of fail mode.If it is not the switch then it will most likely be the reluctor rings. Again corrosion is the culprit. If you take it to MB they will want to replace the entire axle. The reluctors can be removed and a new one put on but MB doesn't work that way. I think "uncle glen" in london will refurbish your axles for you.First off though suspect the switch.

Edited by swl

Thanks for all your input and suggestions guys.You were right - the Reluctor Rings are shot. Local Mercedes Dealership - $1500 + labor. LOL Needless to say I will be ordering online today and having my hubby replace. Any suggestions as to a good place to purchase these rings from?Thanks again

Any suggestions as to a good place to purchase these rings from?Thanks again

OEM rings suck. Some replacements are OK. But if you would like the best ABS rings you can possibly get, that are made to superior dimensions and close tolerances, and coated with the longest-lasting rust-preventative material, order these:http://www.smartmods.co.uk/index.php?page=details&id=11Beats the competition all hollow in every aspect.Bil :sun:

[Crap - just purchased from Flying Tiger 10 minutes ago .... figured I'd get them sooner from a Canadian Supplier. Oh well.Thanks

[They'll be OK. Make it part of your annual maintenance to give them a spray with a creep-type rust preventer. I use Lloyd's AD3000 - it's made in Peterborough!Bil :sun:

I've been wondering if a phosphoric acid wash like Metal Ready applied to the mating surfaces would give some extra life to the rings. Restores swear by that stuff even without a topcoat. Then after it has been assembled use something like por15 on the exterior. Make sure there is a good coverage at the joints between the axel and the ring. For the ring to crack there must be some pretty good forces at work. I wonder if those forces are the effect of corrosion along the mating surfaces. Rust atoms are much bigger than the original iron atoms.

I wonder if those forces are the effect of corrosion along the mating surfaces.

Absolutely yes. That is why regular use of a wicking rust preventive is so important. Use that once a year and you'll have no troubles.

I have the same issue exactly. so in the end the root cause was the reluctor rings and not the other items mentioned? it helps being spring. in the winter the stab system is a must...