Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Tuesday, January 6th, 6pm, Unique Food Attitudes

13 posts in this topic

In keeping with the tradition of dining close to home during January we will be going to a local London restaurant on Dundas street.

The restaurant closes at 6pm but the owner has agreed to remain open and cater to us if we can sign up 10 people before Jan 3rd.

The restaurant offers traditional Polish fare of pierogies and cabbage rolls.

The cost is $20 per person and includes soup, salad, coffee/tea and the above..

Liz and I have eaten here many times and have not been disappointed.

Here's a recent write up from the LFP -

''It was always Barbara Czyz’s dream to open a restaurant.

Today, she’s living that dream as she’s carved a niche in London’s culinary landscape in Old East Village with Unique Food Attitudes on Dundas St.

The graduate of Fanshawe College’s culinary management program started a catering company of the same name soon after graduating in 1996 with two classmates, who have since pursued other opportunities.

But Czyz continued on and two years ago moved to 697 Dundas, just east of Adelaide, where she continues to cater but also serves up her specialty Polish fare for diners.

“I was fortunate to find my present location which afforded me with enough space to make my dream a reality,” said Czyz (pronounced Chush), who has catered to as few as four and as many as 750.

Kurek (a soup with kielbasa and egg), cabbage rolls, bigos (a stew of sauerkraut and meat, mainly kiełbasa) with bread, perogies (dumplings, usually filled with sauerkraut and/or mushrooms, meat, potato and/or savory cheese with fried onion) placki (potato pancakes) and krokiety (Polish crepes) and red borsch, to name a few of the dishes you’ll find.

It’s a lot of work between catering and cooking for events, either off-site or at the restaurant.

So, if Czyz has a chance to spoil herself for a summer lunch, she knows exactly what she’d do.

“That’s easy! I would head to Niagara-on-the-Lake to Pellar Estates for anything on their menu.''

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/08/19/its-polish-fare-with-a-unique-attitude

http://www.uniquefoodattitudes.ca/

1. Liz & Glenn.

Going to try and be there on time, looks like a great pick for a January meet!

1. Liz & Glenn.
2. Todd
3. Dot & Ron
4. Ralph & Monica

I had lunch there today with "Uncle Glenn". It was a full house and we had 1 of the last tables. We each ordered the "Polish Plate"...........1 Cabbage roll and the choice of 4 perogies (4 different kinds) for $8. Take out eaters easily tripled us sitters. Only 1 cabbage roll but it was bigger than your fist. This is going to be a great Dinner Outing for January 6th. "Sally" and I hope to see you there.

I've added myself, Cliff, Annabelle and Jack as we talked about it yesterday and agreed to go together. Our smarts are in hibernation for the winter, so it will be travel via Annabelle and Jack's Prius instead.

Looking forward to seeing you folks in the New Year. Merry Christmas from me and Cliff!

1. Liz & Glenn.
2. Todd
3. Dot & Ron
4. Ralph & Monica
5. Alberta & Cliff
6. Annabelle & Jack
7. Dag

Hi Folks, sorry to report that Annabelle and Jack will not be able to attend. He's ill with shingles as of last week. I'm not sure about us, as I don't like to drive at night, especially if the weather is not good. We'll have to see how it goes. Hope to see you, however!

1. Liz & Glenn.
2. Todd
3. Dot & Ron
4. Ralph & Monica
5. Alberta & Cliff
6. Dag

Is there parking close by for the restaurant? Or, is it on street parking? It is really hard to locate on Google Maps. The signage doesn't show the restaurant name. What are good reference landmarks?

Thanks!

Edited by Albertaaw

Turn into TD parking lot, parking is behind the restaurant. Hint - look for smart cars :icon_wink: