Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twobytwo

NOT a smart

15 posts in this topic

I was enjoying reading through the webpage about the Electric B250, thought I'd share the MB USA page:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-B/bodystyle-EDV

I found it interesting to be able to "over charge" the battery for extra range.

Mods - feel free to move... I wasn't sure to post here or "Auto Talk" - sorry!

Edited by twobytwo

So roughly the same range as the smart ED, but with greater capacity. Are these confirmed to be coming to the Canadian market, Noah? We were close to buying a B-Class a few years ago, but i really don't like the direction M-B took it with the styling on the second-generation model.

Hey Darren, I don't get too much info on MB's in general so I can't comment on future availability in Canada. One of the sales guys I asked said they're probably trying it in the US first but no clue about when it would come to Canada.

I guess it's one of those styles some people like while others don't. I personally prefer the B250 styling over B200... but I definitely DONT have an eye for design/style - take a look at my wardrobe for proof ;)

When I bought my ED, I asked about these being available in Canada. They said not a chance in hell..............

Neither the old B Class nor the new one are particularly well styled but the new one seems like an homage to the Toyota Matrix, which is not a good thing. Actually, the new styling direction of Mercedes is hopeless. So full of fake bling, and with cheap interior materials. They SO need someone like Pininfarina to restore the former good taste in design to their range.

Interesting about the B electric not coming here. No great loss IMO.

That range is a real disappointment, especially for a car with so much room for batteries. However, I'd love to have that heated windshield.

The new B is really tacky inside with hard plastics everywhere...and yeah a car of that type - suitable for longer trips - with a puny range is ridiculous. M-B Canada is "smart" not to bring it in.

If you want to see a REALLY tacky interior, try on A CLA or GLA, that is if you don't decapitate yourself trying to get in. The back of the front seats is an abomination and the exterior of the GLA is unspeakably horrid. They will sell tons of them...

The interior is fairly impressive for a cheap car. I'd have to say, for "pretty much" the same price, and same range, I know which car I would pick between this one and the smart ED (It would be this one if that wasn't clear :icon_smile: )

You guys are comparing the EPA 2 cycle range for the smart, against the EPA 5 cycle test for the B-Class. The 5 cycles is substantially more challenging, as it includes heating, and air-conditioning.

If we compare 5 cycle against 5 cycle, we get 68 miles for the Smart, vs 85 miles for the B class. So, the B class, on these tests results in 26% more range. In addition, the B class can be purchased with an option called 'extended range charging', worth about $3k ish, that charge the batter to a higher state of charge if you select the option before charging. This gives you a 101 mile range on the 5 cycle test. This will wear the battery a bit more quickly, but then, those days you need those few extra miles are relatively few and far between.

The B-Class also does significantly better in the winter, owing to it's much larger battery pack, and more efficient heated windscreen, and substantially more aerodynamic shape.

I think it's actually a pretty compelling car, seeing as it's only about $10k more to get 50% more range with twice as much seating capacity. It's also safer, and probably more comfortable, although I hear the new 453's address some of my pain points with the poor suspension design. What really remains is: Will it be offered in Canada, and will it be offered at the same price?

Sources:
http://www.plugincars.com/smart-ed
http://www.daimler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/documents/1931415_Specifications_smart_electric_drive.pdf
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/vehicles/passenger-cars/b-class/the-new-b-class-electric-drive-2/

--Steve

Edited by steveyfrac

85 miles is not good when other new cars such as the Kia Soul (not to mention any of the Teslas) get so much better range. If it is to stand out, a new car nowadays should show real improvement.

You are right. I was going by EU ratings which show a 124-mile range for the Soul and a 130-mile range for the Renault Zoe.

Sorry, the extended range option costs $600, and includes the heated windshield option

This extended charging/range option is standard (no extra cost) for 2015 model year MB B Class ED.

Sorry, the extended range option costs $600, and includes the heated windshield option

This extended charging/range option is standard (no extra cost) for 2015 model year MB B Class ED.

Really? Weird. It definitely let me price it out as $600 on the MB USA build and price widget.