PrairieBoy

More info on the 2016 Smart ForTwo is now available!

66 posts in this topic

Saw it today at West Island. I asked for a test drive "on the sly" as I knew it wasn't officially available yet, but got turned down by the GM himself for liability reasons: it is not yet certified by TC so cannot be driven on public roadways. I must say it looks much better in person than 2D photographs convey, but there's no hiding that gaping maw and the schnozz above it.

Also I asked the service manager about the GLA, and he corroborated what my neighbour had told me about the window tints and ride height. He could not tell me what MB's fix was that satisfied TC.

1 person likes this

I know they are performing "recall work" and "bulletin jobs" on the un-certified 453 they have, but I wasn't told if these were some of the issues holding up certification.

With helically wound torsion bars, eh, that might have proven difficult!

If the GLA was too low, how did they get away with the AMG version? I just saw one at M-B Oakville, and that sucker was way lower than a standard GLA, and looked way better as a result.

They also had a 453 passion on the lot at Oakville. I have to say, it looks WAY better in person than it does in photos.

A couple of little details I noticed: The hatch glass has a nice little rubber finger lift handle on it, with what looked like a little button, which I'll assume is the glass release button. And the centre-out sweep on the wipers is no more! :( The 453 now has conventional side-to-side radial wipers.

Does anyone else find it odd that vehicles not certified by Transport Canada are at dealerships? Wouldn't they normally be held at the port?

The main dealerships (Midtown, West Island) do a lot of the work to get the initial cars in compliance. The bulletins are then sent to the rest of the shops to get their initial cars to comply. Otherwise there would be a long gap before all the dealerships could get cars they can PDI and allow to be driven by customers.

Does anyone else find it odd that vehicles not certified by Transport Canada are at dealerships? Wouldn't they normally be held at the port?

The very first smart I saw in Canada was a silver 450 Brabus cabrio that was on display inside a Bell Mobility store in Cloverdale Shopping Mall in Etobicoke (west Toronto). This was about a year before they started selling the 450 cdi in Canada. The staff in the store got use to telling passerby's that the car was not for sale anywhere. No idea how they got this smart through Transport Canada.

I drove two European model 450s here on Vancouver Island back in 2002. Three Point Motors allowed customers to take a drive, which was not legal under the rules, but it was GREAT marketing.

Crows that's expensive for a relatively basic passion, compared to the 451. I imagine a prime cabriolet will be nudging $30K.

That's interesting, considering as of yesterday at 3 pm it hadn't been certified by TC. Looks like Peterborough rolled it off the hauler and took pictures, then got it up on Auto Trader ASAP to generate leads. I doubt you can buy that one and drive it away this afternoon.

The "launch" of the 453 in Canada has been worthy of Lada so far. Will it get any better?

A business model that relies on finical failure isn't logical but smart keeps digging into Daimlers piggy bank generation after generation failing to make a profit. Honestly lets have fingers crossed that the 453 makes a profit as how the axe hasn't dropped I'm not sure.