Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gibby

HELP! Sputtering like a gas with bad plugs!

9 posts in this topic

Just run into town with the lad to grab him some 2 stroke oil for his dirt bike and topped up "Jester" while there. Immediately after leaving the station the car is running like an over flooding gas engine with bad spark plugs. Missing and farting , popping and bubbling. Black and blue smoke both depending on the amount of throttle given. 
 I'm good with gas engines but this diesel is a lot harder to diagnose. 

Can anyone enlighten me as to where to start with diagnosing what the sudden issue is

Recent , repairs include a new fuel filter/water separator, oil change last week as well

Note the turbo is spooling up and whistling without issue

Edited by Gibby

Wrong fuel..???.....lol

My beater after getting the new set of nozzles is running like a champ, night and day difference and it wasn't running bad beforehand...!  Just saying, if you can warrant the cost of the new nozzles, buy a set.....I am pleasantly surprised in the difference. It excellerates faster, harder, and will easily pull uphill now compared to old worn nozzles...and the fact I sonic cleaned the old ones also, they were spotless just the orfices must have been deformed from age because I saw 5 sprays shooting from each nozzle.....after sonic cleaning them.  Just a thought suggestion is all.

Fuel quality would be my guess as well.  Is it thestation you use all the time?

I would start by firing in a healthy dose of diesel fuel conditioner and giving her a run to see if that works.

Lonnie

I wasn't happy with trying to run it much. Won't return there for fuel again. I pumped the tank out and refilled it with fresh diesel from a station I'm confident in with a dose of conditioner in it to clear out the offensive fuel. I'll use the tainted crap I took out for soaking old tools in , works great on loosening stuck pliers, tin snips etc. Running like a champ again and sporting a new set of the 6 spoke aluminum rims from the parts Smart. 

Thanks for the replies all. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

Won't return there for fuel again. I pumped the tank out and refilled it with fresh diesel ...............

Perhaps the station with the bad fuel should be told that they have bad fuel .. It may be a problem they knew nothing about.  If you DO get in contact with them and they give you a response about the problem being solved, perhaps you could also pass this along to other members in this thread. :) 

Since we do have several members in the Belleville area, maybe you could mention which station was the source of the issue so we could all avoid it until the situation is resolved. 

1 person likes this

On April 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM, Leadwing said:

Perhaps the station with the bad fuel should be told that they have bad fuel .. It may be a problem they knew nothing about.  If you DO get in contact with them and they give you a response about the problem being solved, perhaps you could also pass this along to other members in this thread. :) 

Since we do have several members in the Belleville area, maybe you could mention which station was the source of the issue so we could all avoid it until the situation is resolved. 

I did go directly to the station, I know the fellow in charge of the maintenance there and spoke with him. Only to find it was my own brain fart in grabbing the wrong pump and ended up with about a 30/60 mix of V power diesel and Vpower high octane performance gas in the car. Spent an afternoon pumping out the tank and refilling with fresh diesel + conditioner/ pump lube additive. The bit of short light driving I did with the idiot mixture in seems to have cleared out my injectors though. Have had an amazing improvement in performance and no issue after doing 1200kms of highway driving to work and back this week. 
  Not knowing for sure what the issue was is why I didn't post the location right away. No need to scare others away just incase I had a thought clot moment ;)

5 people like this