Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leadwing

Memories

9 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who misses the annual Mystery Runs?  The photo is from the 2012 Mystery Run in the Niagara Region.  Fun times.

Mystery Run - 2012 05.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I never attended a Mystery Run, but I do have fond memories of the Oakville to Niagara run back in 2007. 

230602_18912125080_6856_n.jpg224717_18912130080_9848_n.jpg225182_18912135080_2714_n.jpg225937_18912160080_6306_n.jpg

Edited by darren
2 people like this

Absolutely, the Mystery Runs were great while they lasted.  :)

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

1 person likes this

Looks like I joined about three or four years too late.  

1 person likes this

Then there was the east meets west in smartville in 2008.  Fantastic!  All Canadians except for one American in this photo.

smartville2008.jpg

2 people like this

The first and second photo shows some of the cars in an early mystery Run and the third photo is from an April Fools Run in Ohio a few years ago.  The Ohio run is still running.  See this link for more info on the 2020 event.

Smart banner maybe 3.jpg

Smart banner maybe 2.jpg

Smart at Ohio state penn 02.jpg

1 person likes this

OK, since you opened the door to the April Fools event, check out this video from 2013:

:)

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Nigel said:

Looks like I joined about three or four years too late.  

Nigel, there is no reason why it can't be restarted.  A few things to avoid if anyone decided to get it going again. 1) Avoid holding it on a holiday weekend.  2) Avoid the need to go through Toronto.

It just needs someone (or a small group of someones) to get he ball rolling.  The Niagara run that included a tour at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum was laid out by three people.  There was (maybe still running) a group of smart owners called the Loyalist Smartys in the Belleville area.  They put on a couple of interesting runs.  The last official Mystery Run near Belleville was laid out almost entirely by one person.  This Mystery Run was in 2014 and held in the Belleville area.  The run itself, was well laid out and included stops at a chocolate factory and a mom & pop beer factory.  The only downfall for those of us coming from the U.S. or southern Ontario was the need to go through Toronto on the Friday of a holiday weekend.

Because it has been idle for a few years now, if it were restarted, the attendance for the first one may not be up to the hopes or expectations of the organizers.  Persistence is one of the main keys to getting people out.  Positive reviews of participants will help in getting more folks out for the second one.  Choosing an area that has lots of attractions and / or scenery where the participants can stop and take photos or just relax if needed.  Food stops and bathroom breaks are also things to consider.  Not everyone can do 4 to 5 hours of straight driving without a pit stop.

Suggestions (originally posted by smartnhappy in 2015) included the following:

Peterborough, Buckhorn, Kawarthas area ???

Collingwood, Wasaga, Barrie area ???

East of and around Orillia area ???

Niagra and winery areas ???

Loop around southern Ontario ???

Nothing in or near Toronto thank you. No mystery there, just traffic (IMHO).

I also suggested an area to try, but travelling distance to lay it out was too much for me since I am in the London area and the proposed site would be in the Gravenhurst area. Gravenhurst has a 3 hour tour (insert Gilligans Island theme song here) on the RMS Segwun which includes dinner. The RMS Segwun is the oldest operating steam driven vessel in North America and the second oldest in the world, built in 1887 to cruise the Muskoka Lakes in the District of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada. Spike and I took the tour several years ago and it was fascinating. A tour of the engine room is (was at the time) also permitted.

There is no need to ask permission from anyone at the site to do this.   If the urge strikes you and you would like to try putting something on, feel free to go for it.  Just a suggestion, if I may.  Give lots of advance notification on this site so people who wish to attend can make plans.

3 people like this