brd

Rear Disc Brake Kit Upgrade for Smart 450/ 451/ 452

6 posts in this topic

I came across this U.K. rear disc brake upgrade for the smart 450/ 451 /452 whilst searching for something else:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273604447916?ul_noapp=true

The cost for the upgrade is £450 plus £100 shipping to Canada. This is roughly$925Cdn plus probably about 20% duty and hst on the £450.

I have no idea how good/ reliable this particular upgrade is. Unfortunately these are oem disk brakes and brake pads in the kit. If you go down this route I would definitely go with slotted disc brakes and ceramic brake pads instead which would cost about $100CDN through eBay.ca

I came across a review of this product by someone who used it for 18 months and ended up going back to drum brakes ie stay away from this upgrade. 

http://www.theroadster.net/trc/modules/articles/article.php?id=201

An interesting point for 450/ 452 owners from the reviewer:

I drive the car hard and never found [the drum brakes] wanting, particularly since fitting the newer genuine Smart 451 ‘billet style’ slave cylinders in the drums”.

I didn’t know that the 451 has an improved drum brakes setup as compared to the 450.

I always thought the brakes worked quite well on these cars compared to anything else I’ve driven.

Nigel

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I always thought the brakes worked quite well on these cars compared to anything else I’ve driven.

Nigel

Me also.....but  then again I don't drive fast any more.....I drive a CDI Smart Car.....lol

BUT...I will say they do not stop worth a dime in the snow once you get them started....I blew straight through a red light last winter......thankfully the cars saw me coming and allowed me to slide on through......augh!

I think that it would make the car look better but there are downsides. Cars with discs in the rear often seize up because little braking is done from the rears.

It is rare that the drum set up causes any problems.

Example my wifes first smart had the parking brake cable seize after 185,000 kms. The shoes and drums were still in very good condition - all original.

i have to agree with that

good for looks....and good for braking if youre racing it 

but for a normal street driver car id say the rear drums are perfect just the way they are