iPete86

Max rim size

21 posts in this topic

Hello all!

For some reason, my front right wheel has gone very brown stained. It’s not rust as far as I can tell, but it doesn’t clean off. 

Consequently I am looking to get some new wheels. 

I have seen many pictures of 451’s with huge wheels, but I have struggled to find details of what I can actually fit onto my smart! 

if anyone has any ideas or have done this themselves, please let me know what you have been able to fit or what you’ve bought! 

I have a 2010 Smart Fortwo Highstyle if this helps! 

thanks in advance! 

Before you give up on the original rims, you could try some rubbing compound.  It's a lot less expensive than new rims.

BTW, I love the colour of the Highstyle.  Almost bought a low mileage one (13,000kms), but because I already have two smarts, the wife said NO.

I can’t help with the wheel sizes but try some “iron fallout remover” there are many brands.  It worked so well on my white bodywork I tried some on my wheels as the we’re getting a little brown in the corners and it worked excellent.  So I put some on the backside of my winter wheels waited a few minutes gave them a wipe with a soapy wash mitt and rinsed.  Years of grime disappeared without scrubbing.  

Nigel

Thanks! I’ll give it another bash before I give in.

Just concerned about it because it’s only one wheel!

I quite like the look of big rims, but at the same time do want to keep it original (bar changing the head unit). It’s not a brabus after all!

the colour is nice, the brown gives it a 70’s vibe, bought mine with 18000 miles on it

here she is sparkling clean!

68FE0A8F-3238-40C9-9815-C6351A840952.jpeg

7 hours ago, iPete86 said:

Thanks! I’ll give it another bash before I give in.

Just concerned about it because it’s only one wheel!

I quite like the look of big rims, but at the same time do want to keep it original (bar changing the head unit). It’s not a brabus after all!

the colour is nice, the brown gives it a 70’s vibe, bought mine with 18000 miles on it

here she is sparkling clean!

68FE0A8F-3238-40C9-9815-C6351A840952.jpeg

I am very interested in painting my good car this colour, or neon high viz green.....this colour is my favorite foir sure, but the high viz is just that, SEE ME NOW...!

As for the staining on your rims, use orange hand cleaner from Princess Auto or any auto parts store. It worked on my rims.....took a bit the first time but now it's easy!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have an '09 Brabus coupe with 7.5x17 wheels on all four corners and Hankook 215/35-17 tires.  I could run 225/35-17 on the rear, but I like the slightly streched look of the 215's, the same size as US spec rear Brabus wheels.

Edited by 1983JZR3W
spelling

6 hours ago, 1983JZR3W said:

I have an '09 Brabus coupe with 7.5x17 wheels on all four corners

My smart knowledge is lacking, would I need bigger arches to accommodate wheels that size? Not sure if the Brabus is already suited to take them. 

15 hours ago, iPete86 said:

My smart knowledge is lacking, would I need bigger arches to accommodate wheels that size? Not sure if the Brabus is already suited to take them. 

The Brabus has about an inch wide fender extension on the rear.  I hesitate to call it a fender flare as it is so small.  The inner fender wells are the same as the Passion/Pure models.  My car came with the 7.5x17's on the rear and I added a matching set up to the front.  Plenty of room with no rubbing or electronic nanny intrusions.  I later added wheel spacers, 20mm on front and 30mm on rear.  They were not needed for clearance, but to move the wheel/tire closer to the fender edge for a more flush look.  I have tried to add a photo, but they are too large for this site to reduce.  I will keep trying.

1 person likes this

I have tried to add a photo, but they are too large for this site to reduce.  I will keep trying.

A good pair of sharp scissors reduces the imagine size I found......yeh yeh I know......It's way too early for BS like this...lol.

Keep trying as I too would like to see the end result.....thanks.

1 person likes this

@ Willys ......... While on your computer, RIGHT click on any photo you have stored there and select "Open With".  If "PAINT" is one of your options, click on that.  There is a resizing feature in there clearly marked).  The resizing number in the box is in percentages  (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)  I sent you a PM as well.

SMART CAR SITE PHOTO RESIZING.jpg

I tried to post a photo, but did not have any luck.  I tried re-sizing, both links given, and still nothing.

I can't get the photos to post at all.  I will say it is a damn good looking car and I wish I could show it to you.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here is my car.    Still no photo......

Edited by 1983JZR3W

IMG_5300.JPGI had to add photo to my attachment pics and then download from there.

Here is a front view showing the flush look of the wheels with spacers.

IMG_5298.JPG