Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Cruise451

About Time I Say 'hi'

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!I'd like to introduce myself to the community that I have enjoyed for quite some time now. I read a lot but write very little.Sooner or later that has to change :blink: I have a 451 smart and I have a special interest in their success (should be obvious if I got my name and signature working properly).Thank you for having me!

Welcome, to the club!! You will have fun here. So, you already have a 451 and your from the US (I am assuming that CA, under location, is for California, but it could be Canadian) Congrats. I drove a 451 today and it was great.So, you are developing a cruise control system for the 451. What kind of background do you have?

Welcome! You already have your car? Wow, early!

So, you already have a 451 and your from the US (I am assuming that CA, under location, is for California, but it could be Canadian) Congrats. ...So, you are developing a cruise control system for the 451. What kind of background do you have?

Force of habit. We moved to Arizona not long ago. I've corrected the profile field.Yes, we have a 451 as of a couple days ago. Unfortunately, I'm not able to drive it. It can't go on the road, legally anyway. It is a North American model but it wasn't obtained through normal channels and can't be registered until more paperwork is done. We also have a 450, but at the moment its hardly recognizable its in so many pieces.We are indeed developing a cruise control for the 451! Our team features a software developer, which is more important to this kind of thing than you might think, and an Automotive Electronics Engineer that specializes in CANbus applications. CANbus is the network that the smart car uses for its internal communication. As well we also have a Canadian business partner who is really the driving force behind this. I may be a little scarce on the specifics of our organization as I'm not necessarily at liberty to discuss. My motivation for posting is to get feedback while we are in the crucial development stages.To that end, if you would like to learn more about our progress and to continue cruise control specific questions, I encourage you to visit our site - linked in my signature below. It is brand new and in no way competes with this forum for membership, even though it is a forum using the same software you guys just switched to, I'm certain you'll agree its not meant to compete with this great club.Thank you for the welcome!

OK IT'S OFFICIAL - ACCORDING TO OUR NEW MEMBER CRUISE451

HE IS THE PROUD OWNER OF A 451 (NOT STREET LEGAL YET - - BUT DEFINITELY AN OWNER)!

YES, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN WE CAN FINALLY SAY THE 451 (US VERSION) IS ON THE ROAD!

Now, all I can say is....

Can I have mine now too???

Welcome aboard to CsC, good luck with your company and I hope your company provides some reasonably priced mods that I can one day purchase for my US smartie.

Nice to have you as a new member!!

Regina

Edited by rrrucke

Hmmm. Sounds like you are reverse engineering the smart to a certain extent. Could we convince you to go all the way and develop a program to allow the user to play with his smart configuration, allow remaps, etc., and not just for the 451 please.Sooner or later someone is going to do this.

I hope your business endeavour is a great success, and I'm looking forward to doing busness with you. Welcome!

YES, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN WE CAN FINALLY SAY THE 451 (US VERSION) IS ON THE ROAD!

Now, all I can say is....

Can I have mine now too???

Welcome aboard to CsC, good luck with your company and I hope your company provides some reasonably priced mods that I can one day purchase for my US smartie.

Nice to have you as a new member!!

Regina

I wondered if we were among the first or not. Thank you for the warm welcome Regina. I hope you get your car very soon.

Hmmm. Sounds like you are reverse engineering the smart to a certain extent. Could we convince you to go all the way and develop a program to allow the user to play with his smart configuration, allow remaps, etc., and not just for the 451 please.

Sooner or later someone is going to do this.

I want to be careful with the phrase "reverse engineering". It has multiple meanings, and a lot of people look at it as the illegal practice of copying someone else's product. I know thats not how you mean it, but I do want to be clear that we aren't copying anything. We are obtaining data and measurements to make a cruise control unit from scratch.

The only thing we are set out to make is the cruise control. But that doesn't mean we won't add more products later. The information we've learned so far has given us many ideas for other products.

So far we have been focused on reading the data the computer provides, not rewriting its programming to provide different data. That can be dangerous. But, you as a user already have the ability to "play" with your configuration or write remaps. It is not a matter of access, which is done with a simple device, but more a matter of knowing what you are doing. Most people don't know the truth about ECU tuning. But that's another discussion.

I hope your business endeavour is a great success, and I'm looking forward to doing busness with you. Welcome!

Thanks!

Has anyone looked at getting the cruise control system that smart makes in Europe for the 451 and see if it can work on a Canadian/American smart 451?Driving the smart for a the last few weeks I've not gotten to a point where cruise would come in handy, but haven't gotten out on the open road, sure that I'll be ordering cruise from someone at some point.

There is no cruise control in Europe for the smart 451. That's the whole reason Cruise451 is developing one. - Steven

I hope it is as smooth as the TAN cruise unit I have, which is perfect! All the best with this project! I think I know who the Canadian business partner is ;)

s_mack

As far as I know they do have a cruise for the smart 451 in Europe (at least for the 112 version), here is the brochure from smart: http://www.smart451.com/2007/11/brabus-ult...2008-smart.html

Scroll to the last page of the pdf (zoom in) and you'll see that they have cruise control as a standard option.

Since they've put this item on a production car I'm assuming that dealers will have access to replacement parts and maybe the option to get all the parts needed to recreate the cruise on a non-cruise smart 451?

I don't see a PDF anywhere in that link, but regardless... all current indications have been that there is no factory cruise for the smart 451 in Europe or otherwise. Maybe there's more recent news that I don't know about? Or maybe the brochure is outdated (info before decision)? The website you linked to certainly isn't an official source.Anyway, we're pulling this off topic because this is someone's introduction thread. - Steven