Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Snowstorm

85 posts in this topic

So all this snow is For2's fault... That's it... Yah...You know the saying.... Careful what you wish for....Send Cal up our way and he can help Bill shovel out our driveway... It's only a little over 400 ft long.....

SnowDogs - maybe Santa will leave you an ATV - or just hitch the dogs up - dangle a smart fender chew toy - and mush (or is that slush?) to Victoria. Hmmm - wonder if an ATV blade would fit the front of the smart - just the right size for sidewalks.....My Brother in law loves the snow - he runs a body shop - Gerri just called, some genius just rear ended the jeep at a stop light - no damage to the jeep (gotta love that 1/8" 2x4 steel tubing across the back - moves the bumperettes out another 2" as well) - but I think he will be having a repair bill. Claims his boot slipped off the brake (more likely it was too heavy on the gas).Anyhow everyone be safe out there - if it is bad stay home - nothing is that important - and watch the shovelling - a lot of people do thier backs in that way.Cheers,Cameron

On the news today they said this is the first time since 1979 that canada's been white from coast to coast. I just wish the cold snap here would break. I'm tired of being chewed on by the air when I go out!

If you were so happy, why didn't you come to my Christmas party ?! :P

Oh shoot!. I'd totally forgot. I was so busy Saturday just because of the snow. So many last minute people. Work late into the evening. Had dinner and fell asleep.Hope you had a good time and didn't missed me.I wish there are more people can prepare themselves earlier in the season for Christmas shopping and winter car care. Preventive maintenance is a lot less expensive then "don't fix it until you break it".

Well the bumperette took the hit for the team - it is now an inny instead of an outy - they are dirt cheap though so I doubt it is worth the hassle of filing a claim - whalloped it a good one though - waiting to see if Gerri's neck is okay - apparently it was a big a$$ construction van so good thing it wasn't the smart (rear panels are more than the bumperette).So leave plenty of room - and have a light foot at intersections.Cheers,Cameron

Well, snowshowing weather I'd say...And I have studded snows on the 240, and it's auto, so easier to drive in the really really stupid stuff like in Richmond tonight.... what a joke. You could not drive a smart through the side streets IMO, without wrecking the underneath....

Seems to have missed Vancouver so far tonight - we had a few flakes, but no sign yet of the 10 cm we were supposed to see.

Radar shows light precipitation just entering the Strait of Georgia. Satellite shows a band of clouds moving in now with the leading edge of another band (cold front maybe) associated with a low off the north coast moving closely behind the first band. So I'll probably give it another 2 hours.

The snow is coming down pretty nicely on Ladysmith right now.......I sure hope it does not turn to rain.

SnowDogs - maybe Santa will leave you an ATV - or just hitch the dogs up - dangle a smart fender chew toy - and mush (or is that slush?) to Victoria. Hmmm - wonder if an ATV blade would fit the front of the smart - just the right size for sidewalks.....My Brother in law loves the snow - he runs a body shop - Gerri just called, some genius just rear ended the jeep at a stop light - no damage to the jeep (gotta love that 1/8" 2x4 steel tubing across the back - moves the bumperettes out another 2" as well) - but I think he will be having a repair bill. Claims his boot slipped off the brake (more likely it was too heavy on the gas).Anyhow everyone be safe out there - if it is bad stay home - nothing is that important - and watch the shovelling - a lot of people do thier backs in that way.Cheers,Cameron

OMG I hope Gerri is ok.My dad gave us a snow blade for our lawn tractor, but we need to mount it and find chains for the tractor. It's on Bill's to do list....I do have a dog sled, I just don't have a good lead dog... It's a little too dangerous without a well trained dog out front to keep the line tight and the dogs going in the right direction.We got another five centemeters over night and we are suppose to go up to Ladysmith tonight for Christmas dinner at my sister's. Should be fun trying to get there...

Here just south of Seattle we have just short of 15 inches. The photo was taken at the beginning of the last snow fall. I'm getting around just fine doing just as good as my son in his 4 wheel drive. I've had my car since Sept of 2006 and I probably would have had issues driving in the snow if we had any that year but luckily we did not. People say I'm crazy (I confess I am!!) but I tend to take my little car and anywhere at any time.

There are over a foot on the open field of my driveway here in Richmond. I'll wait for it to melt a little in next couple days and pack it down with my 4x4 van. Did the same couple days ago; and even smart cars with summer tires can make it through with ease.The key I find to drive the smart in the winter is no different then any sensible driver would drive any other car in the winter. (Drive within the limit of your equipment) You definitely cannot drive a smart on snow without snow tires. I find snow chains on top of snow tires can get you around better on the smart at certain conditions.

post-19-1230170064_thumb.jpg

Hi, everybody! We are finally civilized again. Got our power back late last night, it was out since Sunday. At least half a meter of snow here in Pender Hinterland and nothing plowed. We are absolutely snowed in. I think we were some of the last people back onto the grid, because most people got their power back the day before. But, you pay a price for living in paradise, HO HO HO. So, now we will finally have a nice and warm meal again, everything is sort of curtailed and in a holding mode. Don't want to open up too many fridges and freezers. And you can't have the generator going all day. Not that we have any neighbours.

Oops, they did it to me, I wasn't finished yet. And I wanted to say, I wish everybody a very merry Christmas and a very safe one. We will spend some lovely time in our hot tub, with the snow piled up on the deck still, but warm in the water. To heck with the world out there, what world?! Take care, all.Irene and Sam