Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dalplex

How To Restore Rear Window Of Cabriolet?

11 posts in this topic

My rear window is fogy and hardly can look through. Is there any way can buff it back to useable condition?Thanks for your advice.

Buy some plastic window restoration polish and spend a couple of hours with a soft rag polishing it. The dealer sells an excellent polish.

Buy some plastic window restoration polish and spend a couple of hours with a soft rag polishing it. The dealer sells an excellent polish.

Or you can go to any marine store as they carry similar products too. Check the prices by phone to save the trip and disapointment. Cheers, Ivan

If it is only surface scratching on nice new plastic that will work, but at the age it's likely close to done mechanically and will crack soon.

A shop in Barrie has done a great job replacing them quite reasonably.

I'm a goalie, and shoving my hockey bag in the back breaks the plastic at -40.So, every spring I replace it using clear heavyweight vinyl from Home Hardware, glued in place with Marine GOOP. Between the time it breaks and the time I replace it, I hold the pieces together with clear packing tape. If it was just a summer car I'd use the heavier vinyl they use for boats, and sew it in place. (the dealership wanted $3500 to replace the entire top, the only way they knew how to do it)

If you're riding solo, why not flip the passenger seat down and access the trunk from there?My first cabriolet window was more than 8 years old and as perfect as you can imagine. If the car is garaged, and you don't open it when it's below +4C, the rear window will last a long, long time!

If you're riding solo, why not flip the passenger seat down and access the trunk from there?My first cabriolet window was more than 8 years old and as perfect as you can imagine. If the car is garaged, and you don't open it when it's below +4C, the rear window will last a long, long time!

not riding solo, not garaged, rarely play hockey when it's not below +4C. Replacing the window is a rather minor inconvenience, especially since it usually waits until after the new year to break.

I've seen owners in the UK get them replaced by insurance and they only pay a small excess.

Plastic polish works very well with a foam buffing wheel as available at cdn tire. Toothpaste would even help from what I have heard. The key is to use something with a bit of heat such as a meguliars power ball foam or Flitz system (Flitz has a Jeep plastic window kit, works very well costs around $30-40). Hand rubbing is tough to get a good job once the plastic is faded. Car polishing compounds also work well (paint compunds to bring back the finish) but you need to know what you are doing with them and avoid splattering on the top it stains. For sure the plastic scratches very easily, you must be very clean. Be sure to clean out the chanel at the bottom of the window it holds all kinds of dust and sand, blow out with compressed air and water or the rags/buffing foam will pick it up and scratch the plastic really badly. Wear gloves even, it scratches so easily (latex or nitrile type).

Any chance replace it with glass windows as 451 do?

Replacement rear glass section from Chris at Cabriotec (I beleive on ebay)Check out this thread.