Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartnhappy

Question about site

15 posts in this topic

Bought a new HP computer with Windows 10, and every time I go to this site I get this message.

I have had my password lifted off this site somehow (was unique to this site) and have rec’d ‘demand payment’ emails for 2+ years.

i think maybe everybody should know this.

Why is this club site suspected and recognized as a phishing website ??

91F8AC27-C780-4202-A759-BF5CD69AA961.jpeg

It always shows me it's "Not Secure"
So why is this..? When the person who set site up not pay or care that it was a secure site in the beginning..?   Not my call, just curious..or does it cost funds to keep it secure? I wouldn't think if it didn't cost much to secure it we as a group wouldn't be willing to chip in so to speak...? None of the past sites i were a member of showed not secure...what's the difference?

I run many programs to keep me bug free.....and clean constantly as I have also been infested in the past.  No comment...lol.

I also run Win 10 pro.   and have seen this message when I first signed up...?   

I get more bugs from the secure sites than the not secure ones.

Yes it's a money grab from someplace IMO.

I signed into this site using a win10 Comp and have never gotten that warning, but I also run adblockplus so it might be blocking it as well.

On a cple forums I've been on for yrs if I'm running AdBlock I can't see the pics posted by others so it's turned off on them with no problems.

Of them there's two sites both on the same supporting software/webhoster one is secure the other isn't from what the admin's on both claim 1 pays significantly more for his site per yr than the one that's not secure, both forums are basically set up the same way with the second one being opened by a previous admin from the 1st site.

My 5 cents worth since we don't have pennies anymore.

1 person likes this

I was using windows 7 and have used it since it first came out.  Recently, I was talked into going to windows 10 ….. HUGE MISTAKE. I have never seen so much garbage on my screen.  Nothing works as it did before. 

That said, I have never had the 'warning' about this site being unsafe or not secure.

As you can see above for my system is using Bitdefender, and I have to request passage every time I log onto this site.

Bitdefender software is branding this website a phishing location, with plenty of warning.

Remember my e-mail address and original password for this site were purloined by someone, somehow, somewhere.

That was several years ago, way before Windows 10 came along.

Maybe our website guru could chime in with his perspective on what’s going on.

Thanks

btw.... it’s an interesting question.  What would it take to operate a secure website?  Initial and annual approx costs?

1 hour ago, smartnhappy said:

btw.... it’s an interesting question.  What would it take to operate a secure website?  Initial and annual approx costs?

Hmmmm.....????

Running Windows 10 with latest updates, also several different antivirus programs.  Have never seen this site show up as suspect.  :)

On 2019-08-28 at 5:59 PM, Willys said:

It always shows me it's "Not Secure"
So why is this..?

The site does not by default encrypt communications between your computer and itself. This is observed by noting that the URL starts with "http://" not "https://". This means that if I'm sitting next to you in a coffeeshop I can use an easily-available, totally legal program to see your password as it flies by over the wifi. Anyone who runs the equipment between you and the site can do the same. It's a basic privacy thing as well. The site *does* support TLS (secure) connections, but it's not on by default, and some parts of the page break (specifically, the private messaging from what I've seen). I use a plugin called HTTPS Everywhere to encourage my web browser to use TLS to connect to websites, and I made a rule for ClubSmartCar. However, there's a few bugs to be worked out.

When the person who set site up not pay or care that it was a secure site in the beginning..?   Not my call, just curious..or does it cost funds to keep it secure? I wouldn't think if it didn't cost much to secure it we as a group wouldn't be willing to chip in so to speak...? None of the past sites i were a member of showed not secure...what's the difference?

TLS used to (and for many sites still does) cost more than not enabling encryption. It has a *very small* increase in the load on the server, but unless you're running massive scale Internet infrastructure you won't notice - and the people who do need to provide secure services so they just accept the cost. However, there's a number of ways to work around not having TLS enabled on your website, and there's been a movement lately to Encrypt the Web which has made more organizations provide secure connections. As part of this, a couple years ago the major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc) decided that they'd stick the warning label on websites that are either not TLS-secured or ask for a password without TLS - I think Chrome gets shouty about anything that's *not* TLS secured and Firefox only gets shouty about asking for passwords without secure connection (which is fair because it's a big no-no).

So the short answer is that when the site was created, using secure connections was not really too common, but now it's far more common. And the website mostly works with a secure connection, but not always. More information: https://doesmysiteneedhttps.com/

Edited by cheapsmart

The admins might consider getting a certificate that would allow the site to be accessed via https. Certificates are free or cheap.

I use Google Chrome so as you pointed out maybe it's them who are suggesting it for reasons I don't fully understand....yet..?    Thanks for trying to explain it to us/me.  I just got used to the layout of Chrome and hate to switch to the other.....but many have said it's not the better of the choices I could use..?  Hmmm....?

Darren, there is a certificate - it works... OK. It's just not the default. A lot of the javascript doesn't load though. It's all coded to use the insecure connection and Chrome/Firefox (correctly) block it from loading before HTTPSEverywhere can rewrite it. It is a server/load balancer fix.

Willys, chrome is a great browser.

Edited by cheapsmart

2 minutes ago, cheapsmart said:

Darren, there is a certificate - it works... OK. It's just not the default. A lot of the javascript doesn't load though.

Willys, chrome is a great browser.

I have a lot of friends switching to Bing lately  but I am so used to Chrome I refuse to just because of political issues, being censored etc as they think they are being...imho....lol.  I agree Chrome works well for me for the most part. 

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

You can use Bing on Chrome.  Although Bing is crap.  

I agree and have stayed with Chrome.....it's just so much better...!

Bing is a search engine. Chrome is a browser. You can use any search engine you want with Chrome, but Google is the default. 

I've stopped using Chrome, as Google has shown reluctance to allow users to block trackers, since advertising and user data are their primary business. I’ve stopped using Google search for the same reason.

I now use Firefox as my browser, and DuckDuckGo for search. 

1 person likes this