Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StreetSmart

Towing with Electric Drive

19 posts in this topic

Hi,

Has anyone installed a tow hitch to their electric car. I have a small trailer which I like to use.

Thanks...

Thanks

That is a good price too...

Wonder what it is like to tow. I assume as long as the weight is not too high, everything should be fine. Could not find anything about new vehicle warranty.

Wow… that's an amazing price. I'd be concerned about loading down the battery pack and/or motor too much, which i would imagine could cause thermal issues. Proceed with extreme caution.

At the very least, the aero and weight penalties of towing anything will deplete the car's already limited range in a hurry.

Notwithstanding the owner's manual clearly states that towing is not permitted, I too am looking to rig my ED for towing, probably in a year or so once I get a feel for how the car is going to make it through the warranty period. I will either weld something onto the crush bar already fitted in the back, or get the Euro hitch kit. I don't like the available bolt-on-to-the-subframe hitches that need drilling, grinding of slots etc., hang down low, and are heavier than they probably need to be.

I am quite confident that the little car would have no trouble towing a lightweight aluminium trailer, something akin to the Yakima RankandRoll. It would be handy for bringing the occasional lumber or piece of furniture home. I had no trouble towing a modestly heavy tent trailer with my old 68hp diesel Jetta.

I think its okay too to tow. As long as you don't over do it. The last thing I want to do is void the warranty.

Actually if you read the 450 manual, 451 and the ED manual they all say that. . Including pretty much every car. Its a do at your own risk situation.

Well, not quite. Every car I have ever owned big and small until this Smart has actually permitted towing, giving ratings for trailer weight, tongue weight, etc. in the owners manual. Which means as long as you stay within the weight limits, there will be no disputes with premature wear and warranty claims. With the ED, attaching and using a trailer hitch will mean a long a protracted dispute if the dealer claims that towing was the direct cause of a failure within the warranty period. The fine print in the warranty booklet is worth a read.

1 person likes this

That looks like a test vehicle, which are often outfitted with trailer hitches for towing outboard test equipment. That doesn't mean that towing on a production car is supported or sanctioned.

For anyone who did the Ontario Mystery Run at the beginning of August would remember this guy and his horn:

post-13554-0-84883100-1412701066_thumb.jpg

Thank you, that is exactly what I'm going for. That looks like a custom hitch attached to the crash bar poking through the bumper. My only question is, why the spare tire on the trailer??

Spare tire because he was from Kansas :o Better to have a spare than to be out of commision for however long to get a new tire. (That's a gasser BTW). That's whoadale from SCoA, you could send him a message over there and see what hitch he has, or if it is custom.

I have a client that makes custom lightweight aluminum trailers, I could get a quote for you.