Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

London England congestion

10 posts in this topic

The city now charges drivers to enter. They are considering a new system based on CO2 emmissions. California please take note!

Story here.

Yes! The Congestion Charge system is incredible; it uses a similar system to our 407 ETR to monitor license plates in the downtown core, and process them automatically to verify if they've paid the charge or not. Basing the charge on emissions also I think is fantastic. No one needs a 3 L displacement engine for rolling about town. The Loremo will prove this gloriously when it goes on sale in 2009!

Posted Image

Transport for London - Congestion Charge - Wikipedia

-Iain

Mayor Bloomberg just received approval to charge drivers entering Manhattan below 86 Street a congestion type tax during peak hours. Logistics haven't been worked out but they will soon. I think they are going to charge trucks $21 and cars $10 or something like that. People are fighting it but it will become a realty.

If there is one thing I hate, it's "The Congestion Charge". When I went to London, I assumed that the 0.7 liter smart was exempt. I soon found out it was not. The way the system works is that you can pay one day ahead of time, the same day or the day after. By the time I realized this, I was already two days late on my first "CC" day. There is no way to pay at that point. Instead, you have to wait for a penalty notice to arrive at home like the one below. What bothered me most was that they took this really cool shot of me driving in London but it is too low to show me behind the wheel. What kind of value is that?

post-166-1187405183.jpg

The 450 and 451 cdi are both exempt. But they don't come in RHD ;)

Yowsuh! I would frame it and hang it on a wall. I've had parking tickets in Europe that have been comprehensively ignored, without repercussions 23 years later....

Alittle farther away than in london but in Santiago, Chile everyday they put out 2 numbers. If any of those 2 numbers corresponds to the last number on your plate you cannot drive into the downtown core of Santiago. All the plates end in numbers down there. I couldnt believe the smog when I was down there in 89 and 91. I know its alot worse now too. If you wore a white shirt downtown by the time you got home its was all dark and no longer white. Talk about smog around the collar, hehehehe

I reluctantly paid it along with the other big ticket I got for parking in a disabled spot. I might want to go back to England some day and I don't want to wind up in a London jail with some guy asking me if I want a "fag". :cheeky: