Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harleyduo

How many have gotten the invite to place their actual order?

285 posts in this topic

With the US Headquarters for Smart being located in Michigan, I somehow thought they might be among the FIRST to have cars delivered as sort of a way of working out the 'bugs' locally as new 451's begin to arrive in the states. However, I've now read where Schmart in Virginia and a member in Texas have received their ordering information online. I'm curious as to whether that's got more to do with dealerships being up and fully ready to go, or if it's totally about how early those members placed their orders. I've been checking my e-mail several times today thinking my e-mail might be arriving but so far I've heard nothing. Have any other Michigan buyers been contacted, yet? Please let the rest of us Michigan depositors know when somebody in Michigan gets notified. I know I placed my order the moment I read they were taking deposits, but I'm not sure it was on the very first day. Hopefully, we will all be getting contacted soon. I will post it when I get that eagerly awaited e-mail. I hope the rest of you will, too.

HarleyDuo.Yes.We have all placed our orders. :biglaugh: No I'm kidding, Kidding. Wife drove by last week and the building is not done. Two corp types were inside but would not venture out to see why she was lurking around. (it was raining).Two Beige color Smarts parked in back of building. Wife is watching them, so they won't slip one by us.A2jack

...or if it's totally about how early those members placed their orders.

:doublethumb:
Surely having a dealer ready has to figure into the equation as well? Or would SmartUSA give a March reservee his/her opportunity to buy early, but from some other dealer if his local dealer is not open until the end of next year?

Or would SmartUSA give a March reservee his/her opportunity to buy early, but from some other dealer if his local dealer is not open until the end of next year?

Correct.

I'm trying to find out how many readers have actually been contacted by Smart at this point in time. I konw Schmart in Virginia got his order. He said he placed his order on March 19th. Another gentleman from Texas said he got contacted to place his order. By my count, that's two people. I just went back and double checked my order placement and it was also on March 19th, but I have not been contacted, yet. Any other readers out there that have been contacted? I'm trying to gauge just how fast the process is moving. It would seem that if it's all being done online it should move rather rapidly. This is, indeed, a completely novel experience for me. The fact that I have recently retired, leaves me with a lot more time to sit around and wait....which I'm not so sure is a good thing. I'll feel better when I start hearing that the system is operating quickly and efficiently. Right now it seems to be going excruciatingly SLOW... Hopefully, many of us will be reporting we've been contacted VERY SOON...

Haven't heard anything yet. Mine was placed 3/21. The dealer has invited me (and others) to the preview on 9/27 here in Chas. SC

Knowing how fast computers can process things, I thought once Smart started allowing customers to log on and order what specific options they wanted, it would be a veritable flood gate of customers being contacted via their computer database and all of us would be contacted in a matter of hours. So, I eagerly kept checking my e-mail after the first announcement was made on this website that a person had received their secret information. The day wore on and no contact. so I spent my time on my computer checking out how quickly I had placed that initial deposit because I read that they would be going in order. Fortunately, I had jumped on that bandwagon immediately and had proof from Smart that they received it on the 19th of March. I even stayed up much later than I normally do thinking that if it was all being electronically done via a computer, it wouldn't necessarily have to be confined to the 8-5 workday hours. Around midnight, I finally called it a day, feeling confident that the next day I would probably have my e-mail waiting for me. Still nothing..that day also came and passed with nothing...and now I've begun to think that Smart might have hit some unexpected snafu that has caused everything to be 'halted' temporarily. I have not read about anybody else being notified, and I have not received anything myself. I know there are thousands of other people who are just as curious as I am and probably eagerly checking their empty e-mailboxes, too. Maybe somebody out there has some inside news as to why the process suddenly seems to have come to a halt?????? Maybe the dealers felt they should be more directly involved in the loop? Maybe software problems? Not knowing is far worse than receiving some kind of word as to what is happening and what we can expect, next, even if it was further delays. That way we'd at least not be all worked up expecting something that wasn't going to be happening. Can you tell, I'm very eager for the next step? I'm sure you are, too.

Harleyduo,You're killing me. I'm trying to be patient too but I must admit that I am checking for new emails as well. Thankfully, I don't have to open my email in-box to see whether or not I have a new email because it chimes and displays a number for me.More importantly, we just have to take a collective breath and realize this is a holiday weekend. I'll start to panick if I haven't heard anything in 3-4 weeks. I just don't think smart or PAG have thousands of customer service reps working diligently behind the scenes to get us the "email". I'm just glad we got to this point (post Road Show) which is very close to getting the car.Regina:)

Sor far, only a few hundred people have gotten the invitation to configure their smart fortwo. This is being rolled out slowly to confirm that the process works, see what doesn't work, and then adjust it. Once the smart team has fine tuned the system and process, they will start inviting more reservation holders to configure their cars.

Those additional small groups will be invited on a slow rollout basis. The speed of the configuration program isn't limited by technology systems - it is being slowed by non-technical operational needs and challenges. Remember - not every reservation holder has a computer or will configure their car online.

Aphoenix,It sounds like you are a smart/PAG insider and if true, thanks for the additional information. Not to sound callous but how can anyone function without a computer (in this day and age). I know there are folks out there doing just fine without the clicky click but egads, I'm glad I'm not one of them.Regina

Yeah, they're probably just testing the waters. The key sentence from smartusa is this one: "Please be patient. Your username and password will be sent based on your reservation date over the next few months." It says months not days or hours.I admit, I checked my email more than usual the past two days as well and I made my reservation in the middle of May.I speculate that the most popular day for people to have made their reservation was the first day. I know if I had been on the email notification list, I would have made the reservation immediately. As it was I saw one on the street and sparked my interest again. As soon as I saw that there was a reservation list I jumped on it. And I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't sign up as a smart insider when I had the chance.As Mike T said in this thread

I think the notices went out on a trial basis to beta-test the ordering software, so some of the depositors were probably randomly sent the notice......and others weren'tDo not fret! It should not mean that any queue jumping is going on.

Now if I come one here an post that I've received my reservation password and confirmed my order before you people that registered in March you can start to worry. :tremble:

Aphoenix,It sounds like you are a smart/PAG insider and if true, thanks for the additional information. Not to sound callous but how can anyone function without a computer (in this day and age). I know there are folks out there doing just fine without the clicky click but egads, I'm glad I'm not one of them.Regina

Regina - I'll just defer to this post by Mike T. ( http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p=147389#147389 )I know what you mean about not functioning without a computer. Heck - I can barely survive without my blackberry glued to my hip, and my laptop is never far away.Gotwavs - it is being done in order of reservation. If you get your invite before the March contingent, something will have been seriously wrong...

Gotwavs - it is being done in order of reservation. If you get your invite before the March contingent, something will have been seriously wrong...

Yeah, I realize that. I was just jokingly saying that they have nothing to worry about unless I get my password before them. :biglaugh:

I made my reservation on 4/4/07. And I'm TRYING to be patient!! I just keep thinking how much time has gone by since 4/4/07...so, a few more weeks won't kill me. Uh...I don't THINK!! LOL! The road show is coming to KC Oct. 7-8, so I'd really rather actually drive one before I formally put in my order. Not that I'd ever think NOT to order one...but...Harleydoo...just take a breath! It'll be OK. Gads, don't lose anymore sleep over it. Hey, we've waited this long. The finish line is in sight now. Let's pace ourselves!!

The road show is coming to KC Oct. 7-8, so I'd really rather actually drive one before I formally put in my order. Not that I'd ever think NOT to order one...but...

That didn't even occur to me until you said it. I haven't driven one yet either and if I had been given the chance I'd have ordered one site unseen without hesitation. Oh how my obsession has grown. I'll get the chance to test it Sept 7th in Portland.

I just got finished logging into the order website with my recently received password and my car is now formally requested with more detail than at the time of my initial deposit.I placed my deposit on March 19th. My e-mail from Smart USA said I should make sure my order was finalized before Sept. 19th. to assure my purchase not being delayed.Hopefully, others are placing their orders as I am typing this.

When I actually got ready to place my order, I began to second-guess myself. While I'm extremely eager to order the Smart Car I have dreamed about for so long, I have this nagging suspicion that no sooner will all of us early purchasers buy what is being offered NOW, when Smart will introduce the machines we REALLY want, like Special Editions, Brabus Editions, Diesel versions, etc. For that reason I pondered ordering less than my dream car thinking I wouldn't take such a hit, financially, when I sold it to get my ACTUAL dream car when the NEW and IMPROVED versions come to the USA. However, in thinking about all the classic car shows I've been attending this summer, I realized that it's always the 'primo' cars that become the ones people want to collect, so I decided to go for all the marbles.I ordered a Metallic Blue with silver Cabrio with every option that is currently being offered. The only option I was not sure about was the 'alarm', since I didn't have any information about how good or beneficial it is according to actual owners, but being a convertible I decided it might pay for itself in keeping people from tampering with it. I just wish I knew what other options will be available for installation at the dealership, since I know there are more things I want, such as the windscreen, sunglass holder, etc.

I drove by the new dealer too and saw some smarts in the parking lot, I am getting so excited to drive my car~!